Latics head to Blundell Park on Saturday (kick-off 3pm) for their final pre-season fixture before the big kick-off.
- Match Preview: Grimsby Town v Wigan Athletic.
- Latics take on Russell Slade’s Mariners at Blundell Park.
- First visit to Grimsby in 13 years – Tickets: £10 Adults, £5 Concessions (Over 65s/14 and under)
Wigan Athletic head to Grimsby Town on Saturday afternoon (kick-off 3:00pm) for their final 2017-18 pre-season fixture as Paul Cook’s side look to build on the first win under his tenure at Notts County last time out.
- TICKET NEWS: Pay on the day at Grimsby Town.
- VIDEO: Dan Burn on pre-season so far.
- WATCH: Michael Jacobs on two years at Latics.
Grimsby Town play at Blundell Park, their home of 118 years, which is separated from the River Humber by a railway line.
After a six-year absence, Grimsby played their first EFL season last year following their promotion from the National League – via the play-offs – in 2016.
The manager who took them back to the league was Paul Hurst, but he left early last season to join League One Shrewsbury Town before being replaced by Marcus Bignot. Bignot remained in charge until April before being replaced by former Mariners boss Russell Slade, who had just left Coventry City.
Russell Slade was appointed Grimsby manager for a second time in April.
Going into his first full season as boss in his second spell, Slade has had his side play ten pre-season matches, with the visit of Latics to Blundell Park their 11th fixture. Their most notable matches have included wins over Scunthorpe United and Barnsley and defeated to Boston United and Blackburn Rovers.
OUR RECORD AT BLUNDELL PARK
Latics have a terrible record at Grimsby, losing on six of their seven visits to Blundell Park.
Our first visit was in the 1972-73 FA Cup First Round Proper, when we lost to the Mariners 2-1.
The last match we played at Blundell Park was in August 2004 when Paul Jewell’s Championship leaders lost 1-0 to their League Two opponents in the First Round of the Carling Cup. Emerson Thome made his first start for the club that day, following his move from Bolton Wanderers.
Emerson Thome made his first Latics start at Grimsby
AWAY FAN INFO (FROM GRIMSBY TOWN FC’S SLO)
- Due to an open day at Grimsby the following day, there are no parking facilities at Blundell Park. The Mariners have 9 public disabled parking bays located on Harrington Street relatively close to the away entrance. These however are on a first come, first served basis and tend to be taken around two hours before kick-off. Street parking is available with the general rule that the later you arrive the further you have to walk to the ground.
- Pubs will be as follows: Blundell Hotel + Bar on Grimsby Road opposite McDonald's is strictly home fans only. If any fans arrive between 12pm and the turnstiles opening at 1:30pm they are welcome to use our Mariners Trust bar within the Lower Youngs (tall stand). Once the turnstiles open they are transferred to the Osmand Stand that has 2 bars including Scotties which is always enjoyed by away fans. If supporters don't fancy being in the ground that early Cleethorpes centre has plenty of bars/pubs. NCP's are available and it's about a 15-20-minute walk from there.
- Cleethorpes is also the nearest train station.
- Pay on the day is available and for anybody that needs to collect tickets - both the ticket office and club shop are again located in the Youngs Stand, off Grimsby Road.
- Disabled supporters are generally accommodated in the main stand with home fans and this is where the disabled toilet is located. However, under new EFL guidelines they can be offered accommodation within the Osmand Stand with away fans but the stand does not have disabled facilities at this time.
- For food/drinks - the usual burgers and sausage rolls are available alongside hot and soft drinks. We do have executive spaces for Fish & Chips within McMenamies that the club are extending an invite to away fans for.
- If that doesn't appeal another sit down venue is the famous Steel's Corner House in Cleethorpes Market Place or for takeaway GR8 White on Grimsby Road is recommended. This road also has a range of other takeaways that are generally open to see fans home.
- Cash machines are available at various points on Grimsby Road including the Tesco Express.
- The nearest fuel station is on Grimsby Road as you head towards Cleethorpes or Cleethorpes Road as you head out of town.
- I also have a twitter account @gtfc_slo which I will update with any delays/issues on match day as well as confirming some basic info for away fans.