Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
12 September 2017 Venue Robin Park Arena Attendance

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

Wigan Athletic U23
1 - 3
Bournemouth U23

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports


12 September 2017

Latics' Under-23 side were beaten by Bournemouth in the Premier League Cup this afternoon.

  • James Barrigan opened the scoring for Latics on 10 minutes.
  • The Cherries netted three times after the interval.
  • First team players Chey Dunkley and Ryan Colclough both played the full game.

Wigan Athletic’s Under-23 side fell to defeat against Bournemouth in the qualifying round of the Premier League Cup at Robin Park Arena this afternoon.

James Barrigan put Latics ahead early on as he converted Victor Maffeo’s low cross beyond keeper Aaron Ramsdale.

Ollie Harfield equalised from close range after the interval as he was the first to react to Mikael Ndjoli’s effort bouncing back off the upright.

Connor Mahoney turned the contest on its head in the 52nd minute when he met a cross from the left and volleyed powerfully past Owen Evans at the back post.

Mahoney was involved in his side’s third goal on the hour when his low cross from the right was unfortunately put into his own net by defender Chey Dunkley.

The visitors had the best of the early chances, with Mahoney heading Harfield’s cross over the bar and Ndjoli testing Evans with a shot from inside the box.

Latics edged themselves in front on 10 minutes though as Maffeo burst down the right and crossed for Barrigan to tap home from close range.

The goal gave Peter Atherton’s side confidence, and Luke Burgess was the next to go close as Ramsdale was forced to beat away his effort at the near post.

Latics kept coming and the Cherries had Ramsdale to thank once more midway through the half as he tipped Josh Gregory’s 20 yard strike just over the bar.

At the other end, Evans denied Keelan O’Connell's rasping drive from distance, while Jack Simpson later glanced a header wide at the back post.

Burgess should have put Latics further head just before the break when he was played through on goal, but Ramsdale came out on top and saved well.

The visitors levelled almost immediately after the break as Harfield finished from close range after Ndjoli’s initial effort came back off the bar.

Mahoney then put his side ahead minutes later with a fine volley at the back post which beat Evans and found the top corner.

The lead was extended further on the hour when Dunkley turned Mahoney’s powerful low cross past Evans.

Ryan Colclough almost pulled one back on 71 minutes as he drove forward from midfield and shot just wide of the post from 18 yards.

O’ Connell then shot low at Evans but the Welshman denied him well, while Latics substitute Mitchell Culshaw skewed an effort wide at the back post late on.

Wigan Athletic: Evans; Plant, Downey (Long 69), Dunkley, Golden; Maffeo (Culshaw 83), Hilton (Malumo 69), Gregory, Colclough; Burgess, Barrigan.

Subs: Perrin, Long, Cotter, Culshaw, Malumo.

Bournemouth: Ramsdale; Seaman, Hobson, Cordner (Ofoborh 83), Harfield; Mahoney, Simpson, Taylor, O’Connell; Hyndman, Ndjoli.

Subs: Vincent, Parker-Trott, Sherring, Ofoborh, Diaz. 

Advertisement block

Advertisement block