Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


28 August 2012

Latics through to next round after strong showing at the City Ground

Cox 47

Boselli 25
Figueroa 35
Gomez 44
McManaman 90

An emphatic first half saw Mauro Boselli chalk up his first goal of the season and both Maynor Figueroa and Jordi Gomez score spectacular goals before half time.

But in the second, Forest put on the pressure and despite a Simon Cox stunner and an Antolin Alcaraz red card, Latics saw the game out and Callum McManaman rounded off the win.

Roberto Martinez made seven changes from the side that beat Southampton 2-0 on Saturday.

The players brought in adapted well but were made to sit back and soak up pressure for the opening exchanges as Forest started in a very direct manner.

Early chances for Forest weren’t strong enough and on 25 minutes Latics made them pay.

The exciting looking Ronnie Stam ran the ball beyond full back Dan Harding and curled in a pin-point cross onto the head of Boselli who got in front of the defender and powered his header home.

Latics continued to build up the pressure and just 10 minutes later it was 2-0.

To say it was spectacular would be an understatement but, there was no surprise as to where it came from.

Maynor Figueroa came striding up the field as Latics kept possession on the edge of the Forest area and if you blinked you would have missed it as he lashed his shot from 20 yards up into the top corner of the goal.

It wasn’t to be the only contender for goal of the game and when Gomez made it 3-0 with just a minute to play before half time.

The build-up play was again, well thought out and precise.

Albert Crusat gathered the ball just inside the Forest half and spotted a well-timed Gomez run in behind the defence.

His well-weighted through-ball played Gomez in on goal and with one touch he set himself and let fly from 25 yards, a right footed whistling drive.

Latics looked well in control but, just two minutes into the second half came the third goal of the game contender when Simon Cox was given room in the middle of Latics’ half and much like Gomez, simply let rip and rocketed his shot beyond Ali Al Habsi.

At 3-1 Forest were looking to make a game of it but, solid defending was keeping them out.

When Antolin Alcaraz and Guy Moussi seemingly innocuously clashed knees on the half way line, Forest the slice of luck they were seeking when referee Geoff Eltringham produced a second yellow card for the Paraguayan defender.

His first yellow almost went unseen after a late step on a Forest forward's foot just minutes earlier.

The momentum looked like it was about to flow for the home side after that but, Latics held firm and with just additional time to be played, McManaman made it 4-1.

It was David Jones who set the ball rolling with a calm headed clearance to substitute and debutant Ryo Miyaichi.

The Japanese winger hit Forest on the break down the left hand side and with McManaman in support down the right, the signs were looking bright.

Miyaichi switched the ball over to the 21-year-old but, the work was still to be done.

McManaman was cool and calm as he skipped around Harding before jumping over another challenge in the box.

His composure then showed through as he placed the ball past Lee Camp and sent Latics through to the third round.

Forest: Camp, Harding, Gillett, Collins, Moussi, Cohen (Majewski 66), Reid, Halford (Lascelles 78), McGoldrick, Cox, Ayala (Moloney 62)
Unused Subs: Guedioura, Greening, Blackstock, Evtimov

Latics: Al Habsi, Stam, Ramis, Alcaraz, Figueroa, Beausejour, Jones, Watson, Crusat (Miyaichi 80), Boselli (Fyvie 83), Gomez (McManaman 71)
Unused Subs: Pollitt, Lopez, Kone, Di Santo

Advertisement block