Latics in the Community highly commended at North West Football Awards
LATICS IN THE COMMUNITY HIGHLY COMMENDED AT NORTH WEST FOOTBALL AWARDS
Wigan Athletic Community Trust was ‘Highly Commended’ in the Community Club of the Year section at the 2012 North West Football Awards on Monday
The commendation recognises the work the Latics in the Community team has done over the last 12 months as well as the Club’s involvement with the Wigan Youth Zone which is due to open in spring 2013.
Among the achievements of Latics in the Community over the last year have been:
- Providing football and sports coaching at 75 primary schools, 16 High Schools and five special educational needs schools
- 8,000 young people taking part in football and sports activities, in schools, after school and during school holidays
- Helping young 1,000 young people improve their reading and writing in 30 primary schools through the Latics Literacy scheme.
- 120 young people a week taking part in football inclusion activities in the evenings -helping to reduce anti-social behaviour by up to 30% in selected communities
- 100 young people with disabilities a week receiving sports coaching
The Community Trust was also shortlisted in the Community Initiative of the Year award for its Train with Latics project that helps unemployed young people between the ages of 16 – 18 gain qualifications and training.
Head of Community, Tom Flower said: “It was great that the work of the Trust was recognised at the North West Football Awards.
“The last 12 months have seen us greatly expand the amount of the work we do in schools and with community groups across Wigan and the award is recognition of all the hard work them the team have put in and also of the great support that we get from the Football Club.”
For more information about Wigan Athletic Community Trust please contact 01942 488 530 or e-mail email@example.com.