Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


10 October 2012

Latics into second round of Lancashire FA Youth Cup after comfortable home win

Thompson 37
Wilson 63


John Doolan’s Latics put their weekend result behind them this afternoon with a controlled victory as Omar Thompson’s opener was doubled in the second half by a thunderbolt from defender Michael Wilson.

The victory sees Latics keep their first clean sheet of the season in what turned out to be a fine performance by goalkeeper Michael Cottrill and his defence.

Fleetwood tried to make it an uncomfortable afternoon from the start as they came out of the blocks fast to try and get Latics on the back foot.

The away side fought hard to put pressure on Latics but, after an opening half an hour of battles for possession, Latics kicked into life with the first warning shot fired at the League Two side when Jamie Gibson’s deep cross from the right wing was hit just wide by Paddy Christian who was unmarked at the back post.

It was soon to be Christian’s turn to play provider as Ryan Meadows spread the ball out to him on the left.

Christian picked out Thompson in the six-yard box who is clinical from that range and simple side footed it home, continuing his rich run of goal scoring which now stands at six in all competitions.

Two minutes later Latics stopper Cottrill was called into action when a header from Tom Peterson looked to be creeping in the bottom corner but, the keeper saved low to his left and gathered the ball.

After half time Cottrill continued to be tested but only from range as Latics looked to further their lead.

It was a hint of misfortune for Fleetwood ‘keeper Oliver Martin that gave Latics their chance to duble the lead as he miskicked a pass back to concede a corner.

Christian’s resulting corner caused chaos in the box and when Fleetwood thought they had cleared their lines, Latics’ centre back Wilson was lurking on the edge of the area to rifle a right footed shot into the top corner doubling the lead.

Ten minutes later it could have been three when lively winger Bradley Anderson threaded Thompson through on goal down the right but, the powerful striker could only drag his shot narrowly wide.

With five minutes remaining Fleetwood upped the pressure as they looked to drag themselves into the game and substitute Kurt Willoughby should have scored when a free kick from Mike Smith was floated into the box from the by-line but, Willoughby’s header was poor from close range and ballooned over the bar.

As the clock ticked down Fleetwood continued to test Cottrill who time and time again dealt with the threat.

His ability to claim the ball through a group of players was made to show when consecutive corners were whipped, curled and floated into the box, only for the ‘keeper to beat them away.

As the final whistle blew Latics were left to celebrate their victory in what was a pleasing defensive performance for Doolan and his young Latics.

Latics: Cottrill, Leigh, Johnstone, Christian (Ainscough 82), Wilson, Mason, Thompson, Meadows, Gibson, Johnson (Flores 83), Anderson (Hamilton 82)
Unused Sub: Hare

Fleetwood: Martin, Olapade, Fitsimmons, Cairns, Cartwright, Deacon (Bromley 69), Allen, Smith, Peterson, Wright (Willoughby 79), Parker
Unused Subs: Drummond, Rajab, Wainwright

Advertisement block