Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


19 April 2013

Latics fall short to first half Man City goals as Ben Watson completes 90 minutes.


Rusnak 34
Razak 44

Wigan Athletic failed to progress into the semi final of the Lancashire Senior FA Cup after to first half goals against the run of play from Manchester City's Albert Rusnak and Abdul Razak left them disappointed.

The key news for Latics was that Ben Watson completed his first 90 minutes since fracturing his shin against Liverpool at Anfield in November.

It was a first half that arguably should have seen Latics 2-0 up rather than City, when Danny Redmond burst into the box from a clever over the top ball by Michael Wilson, but Redmond couldn't beat keeper Ian Lawlor one-on-one as his shot went inches wide of the far post.

As the game neared the half an hour mark, the best move of the game almost paid dividends when Steven Boothman fired just over the angle of the cross bar and post.

The move started deep in midfield as Watson played a one-two with Under 18 defender Michael Wilson.

Watson then spread the play right to Redmond who played in Edu Campabadal down the right side, his pass to Filip Orsula on the wing sent the Slovakian on his way and his deep cross found Boothman at the back of the box.

The left wing back struck across the ball first time for what would have been a spectacular but the narrow miss was agonising.

Latics continued to press and impress but on 34 minutes the visitors took the lead.

Albert Rusnak hit the vital shot after Denis Suarez's shot across goal fell to him near the back post but, it took a deflection off Callum Morris for the ball to fool defenders on the line and nestle in the net.

Ten minutes later City doubled the lead and it was another hint of misfortune that cost Latics when the referee got in Redmond's way as he attempted to clear on the edge of his own area, leaving the ball to fall to Razak on the edge of the area who drilled his shot low and in off the right hand post.

It was a similar performance for Latics in the second half too as they controlled possession in spells and limited their opponents chances on goal.

Seven minutes after the restart Latics claimed for a penalty when Josh Sumner's shot from outside the box seemed to strike Dedryck Boyata on the arm but nothing was given.

Possession ebbed and flowed for both teams but there were little second half chances created as Man City saw out the game to progress into an away semi final against Rochdale.

Latics: Marosi, Campabadal (R.Watson 63), Boothman (Meadows 45), Morris, Buxton, Wilson, Sumner (Johnson 76), B.Watson, Orsula, Bingham, Redmond
Unused subs: Hare, Andres

Man City: Lawlor, Wabara, Leigh, Huws, Plummer, Boyata, Rusnak, Razak, Guidetti, Lopez (Ntcham 68), Suarez (Fofana 81)
Unused subs: Facey, Gunn, Bytyqi

Advertisement block