Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


8 April 2013

Latics pegged back to draw after 2-0 first half lead.

Redmond 17
Sumner 36

Novak 72, 75

Latics two goal lead in the first half courtesy of a brilliant Danny Redmond free kick and a determined finish by Josh Sumner was drawn level in three crazy second half minutes as Lee Novak score twice, equalising from the penalty spot at the DW Stadium.

A major highlight of the game was that of Ben Watson's return to action as he completed 45 minutes.

Graham Barrow also called upon Under 18 defenders Michael Wilson and Jamie Gibson who made his Under 21 debut.

Latics got off to a brilliant start with the trio of Filip Orsula, Rakish Bingham and Sumner causing problems in defence for the visitors.

Five minutes in almost saw the opening goal when Ben Watson curled a free kick over the wall and narrowly wide, but it was to be on the 17th minute that a free kick would pay off.

Redmond, who now has eight goals this season, stepped up just outside the Huddersfield penalty area and expertly looped the ball over the wall and into the top left corner of Lloyd Allinson's goal.

It wasn't an easy first half for Latics despite going on to score a second 20 minutes later and Marko Marosi was made to work between the sticks with a string of fine saves.

Josh Sumner's goal made it 2-0 on 36 minutes as he squeezed through the Huddersfield back line and poked the ball over the out-rushing goalkeeper.

Latics continued to push for a third towards half time and into the second half.

On 72 minutes the turn around began, but first Latics had the chance to go 3-0 up.

More great work down the right hand side from Sumner provided substitute Jesjua Angoy with a chance at the back post but his diving header was cleared off the line by one of three Huddersfield players ready to block.

The Terriers then went up the other end and got that hint of fortune of which Latics couldn't find themselves as a high ball into the box ended up at Novak's feet at the back post with just an empty net to poke it into.

If that wasn't enough almost from the kick off the referee pointed to the penalty spot after Danny Redmond's trailing leg resulted in a penalty.

Up stepped first teamer Novak to thump the ball into the bottom corner for 2-2.

The game was completely up for grabs from then on but Latics' best chance wasn't enough when Callum Morris ran from inside his own half, inside the area and saw his deflected shot nearly creep in at the near post.

Joey Johnson was introduced with 10 minutes to go but the added forward figure wasn't enough as both sides settled for a point.

After the game goal scorer Josh Sumner said:

"I'm obviously happy myself to have scored but it's disappointing that we let the lead slip.

"All season we've needed that cutting edge more and if we had scored a third then we probably would have seen the game out with more goals.

"We have to keep doing the same things really though and just make sure we're much tighter once we're ahead."

Latics: Marosi, Campabadal (J.Johnson 80), Gibson, Morris, Wilson, R.Watson, Sumner, B.Watson (Ainscough 45), Orsula (Angoy 70), Redmond, Bingham
Unused subs: Hare, Johnstone

Huddersfield: Allinson, Smith, Clarke, Lynch, McIntyre, Hopson (I.Johnson 70), Sinnott, Crooks, Atkinson, Abadaki, Novak
Unused subs: Guthrie, Charles, Wilkinson

Advertisement block