Get to know our latest new arrival a little better.
It’s been quite a summer for Latics in the transfer market, welcoming tenth signing James McClean to the DW Stadium today from Sunderland. As always, a new signing means ten facts to mark the occasion and here’s our latest batch for James…
1. James was born in Derry, Northern Ireland on April 22 1989, the very same day Wigan Athletic slipped to a 1-0 defeat to Fulham at Springfield Park in the Third Division.
2. The winger will be hoping to make his debut for Latics in the Community Shield this weekend, and is no stranger to making his first appearance in a cup final, doing so for hometown club Derry City in September 2008 in the League of Ireland Cup Final, helping his team to a 6-1 win against Wexford Youths.
3. It was a former Wigan Athletic manager who brought McClean to the UK, when Steve Bruce signed the then 22-year-old for Sunderland.
4. McClean’s first appearance in a Sunderland shirt was a memorable one, playing for the Reserve team in a local derby against Newcastle United, and scoring in a thrilling 4-3 win for the Black Cats.
5. Despite being signed by Bruce, it was under Martin O’Neill that the winger made his senior debut, in a 1-0 victory over Manchester City at the Stadium of Light in January 2012.
6. Two days later he scored his first senior goal for the club, against Wigan Athletic at the DW Stadium in a 4-1 win for his side.
7. At the end of his first season with Sunderland, after making 30 appearances in all competitions, McClean was named Young Player of the Year by the club.
8. Despite representing Northern Ireland at Under-21 level, McClean is a full Republic of Ireland international, with twelve caps, making his debut against the Czech Republic at the Aviva Stadium in February 2012.
9. His arrival at Wigan Athletic this week equals a club record for the number of signings made in one transfer window, ten, set in the summer of 2007.
10. This is the 100th ‘new signing’ fact we’ve published this summer, the first coming for Chris McCann who was the first new boy to arrive at the club back in July.