Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 20/08/2013

20 August 2013


An tense game, an intense game and a passionate finish as Latics came back from a nightmare first half going two goals down, to come back and draw 2-2 with a Shaun Maloney free kick and an 89th minute equaliser from Leon Barnett.

Latics worked hard to grab a point after Theo Robinson and Chris Brown both scored in the first half from close range.

Owen Coyle made two changes from the weekend's defeat to AFC Bournemouth with James McClean and Chris McCann coming in for Jean Beausejour and James McArthur.

The first Doncaster goal came firmly against the run of play, first with Ross Turnbull saving from Grant Holt at the front post and from Chris McCann inside the area.

Latics were outraged at not having a penalty 15 minutes in when Holt was wrestled to the ground in the area, only for the referee to simply wave play on.

A minute before the opening goal Maloney cracked the post with a cross-come-shot that caught Turnbull out.

Then came Robinson's goal. It was fed into his feet eight yards out and with Barnett breathing down his neck he turned the defender and whipped the ball into the bottom corner beyond Scott Carson.

With three minutes remaining in the first half Doncaster then made it 2-0, again with Latics seemingly on top.

Brown rose in the area to meet a teasing cross and neither Emmerson Boyce nor Carson could challenge him as Latics dropped two behind.

A change was needed for the second half and it came in the form of Marc-Antoine Fortune who added bite to Latics' attack.

Latics pressed, pushed and harried to get forward but it was the quality of Maloney that got the first goal back.

A free kick for a foul by Rob Jones on Fortune was set perfectly for a trademark Maloney finish and he duly obliged, clipping the ball up and over the wall leaving Turnbull stranded.

It was a fight for the equaliser as Doncaster dug in deep to defend, while Owen Coyle tinkered with changes, bringing Jordi Gomez into the game to try and unlock the defence.

One minute of normal time remained and then the DW Stadium erupted.

A short corner to Gomez and a quick switch of the ball to the by-line to Fortune gave the substitute striker room to beat his man and play in a delightful low ball for Barnett.

The bullish defender beat his marker to the ball and swept it low into the bottom corner for 2-2 as he ripped the front of his shirt in passionate scenes with added time to come.

Five minutes of additional time almost saw Doncaster claim three points at the death when late sub Billy Paynter headed onto the bar.

Latics earned a point in the game after dropping behind and showed character to equalise late in the game.

Advertisement block