Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

ROGNE IN CONTENTION

29 August 2013

But Gaffer still waiting for news on Maloney & Holt for Forest clash

Owen Coyle says Thomas Rogne is in contention to make his competitive debut for Wigan Athletic this weekend, when Nottingham Forest arrive at the DW Stadium in the Championship.

Rogne came through a Reserve Team game against Wrexham in the week but whilst the gaffer is hopeful on the Norwegian’s fitness, he is still waiting to confirm whether or not Shaun Maloney and Grant Holt could make the game.

He said: “Training has been very good this week, and with a Reserve game against Wrexham on Wednesday we were able to give those players on the periphery the opportunity to get some game time under their belt, including Thomas Rogne who has stepped up his recovery lately by playing the full 90 minutes without any problems.

“He played very well and looked comfortable so for me he has put himself into contention for Saturday.

“Shaun missed last week with a gash on his foot and I’m hopeful that he’ll be able to return for us this weekend, but it might be difficult to get Grant fit for the game.

“He suffered a nasty knock to his knee and after having a scan it appears as though Saturday is going to be too soon for him to make a return.”

Latics are looking for their first home win of the season on Saturday after two 2-2 draws in their last DW Stadium outings, and Coyle has seen plenty of positive signs that it could come this weekend against a team he rates highly:

“We’ve been a coat of paint from winning all of our games so far this season, but just need to cut out the individual errors which have cost us.

“We’ve not been cut open by teams or outplayed by anyone, just made little mistakes that have been punished, and once we cut that out we’ll be fine.

“This weekend’s game is a fantastic one to look forward to against a team who took all before them towards the end of last season, were unlucky to narrowly miss out on a place in the play offs and who have started this campaign in similar form.

“They’ve spent good money in the summer in bringing in the likes of Jamie Mackie, Kelvin Wilson and Eric Lichaj to join the likes of Andy Reid who has great experience and has been playng very well lately.

“We know though what we’re capable of and we’re confident that if we can hit the heights of what we’ve done in good phases during recent games then we can be more than a match for anybody.

“The fans have been brilliant so far this season, so playing in front of them again is something we’re all looking forward to and the lads know they’ll keep getting the support from the stands.

“At home we’ll be aiming for nothing less than three points; we’re the second highest scorers in the division so we’re confident we’ve got goals in us, and now we just have to focus on shutting out at the back.”

With the transfer window closing on Monday night and speculation rife around possible incomings and outgoings at the club, Coyle cleared up one or two issues, saying:

“It’s been well documented over the past few weeks that we want to add another striker to our group, but whilst there have been options made available to us I’ve not felt any of the players offered have been right for us.

“But we’ll be working hard over the weekend and into Monday to try and entice the right player to the football club and if it doesn’t happen then we’ll have the loan option open to us after the deadline, but rest assured we’re doing everything we can to make something happen.

“With regards to players leaving the club I can confirm that we have had a couple of enquiries regarding James McCarthy, but that’s all they’ve been at this point – enquiries.

“As always there is much speculation around him at the moment, but we’ve had no bids and if anything more happens we’ll be ready as a club to react.”

To watch the interview in full [click here].


Advertisement block