Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 05/01/2013

5 January 2013


Hard-working AFC Bournemouth earned themselves a midweek FA Cup third round replay despite Latics' late push to seal the tie at the DW Stadium as Jordi Gomez's rebound from his missed penalty drew them level from Eunan O'Kane's opener.

Latics were as ever dominant in possession but clear-cut chances came on rare occasion and the visiting Cherries defended well.

Roberto Martinez made nine changes to the side that faced Manchester United on New Year's day with just Emmerson Boyce and Maynor Figueroa remaining in the team.

Mike Pollitt returned for the first time in two years and Roman Golobart was given his first team debut with a start in the centre of defence.

The game began as expected, heavy possession and controlled build-up but, the warning signs were there as Bournemouth forced the first real opportunity on 14 minutes.

Maynor Figueroa failed to clear a Marc Pugh cross from the left and as Matt Tubbs raced in behind to finish, Danny Redmond was made to dive in and make the saving tackle.

Latics looked comfortable as Golobart controlled the defence, David Jones and Fraser Fyvie worked the ball well in midfield and Ronnie Stam and Danny Redmond created spaces down the wings.

After 40 minutes of Latics looking safe and steady Bournemouth hit them with a sucker punch.

Eunan O'Kane was allowed space on the left edge of the area and as Fyvie slipped in front of him the opportunity to shoot was inviting as he fired the ball into the left corner of Pollitt's goal with deadly ferocity.

Latics changed things at half time as on loan striker Angelo Henriquez replaced Redmond for his Latics debut.

Within eight minutes of pulling on the blue and white for the first time the Chilean almost made himself an instant hero as met an inswinging Jones free kick to flick the ball onto the cross bar with his head.

The home side were firmly on top as the momentum gathered and once again the bar was rattled as Maynor Figueroa curled the ball with the outside of his left foot as he cut in on the left side 25 yards out.

Intensity levels began to rise and on 70 minutes the equaliser finally came.

As the ball came high into from Jones' corner bodies leaped into the air and down came Figueroa who was dragged from behind by Richard Hughes as he attempted to prod the ball in.

Referee Robert Madley pointed straight to the spot and Jordi Gomez stepped up to try and put Latics level.

Shwan Jalal out-foxed the Spanish midfielder as his tame penalty was saved but only beaten away into the path of Gomez once again who poked the ball past the Bournemouth keeper for 1-1.

Martinez attempted to force the issue as the game drew to a close, with Nouha Dicko introduced for just his second club appearance after being recalled from his loan at Blackpool.

Both teams threw themselves forward towards the end but, the replay was inevitable as Latics couldn't find that crucial winner.

Advertisement block