Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 26/01/2013

26 January 2013


Jordi Gomez's sixth minute penalty sent Wigan Athletic through to the fifth round of the FA Cup in a game that they were forced to dig in deep and work hard in as Blue Square Bet Premier Macclesfield gave it their all at the Moss Rose.

Roberto Martinez once again reverted to his FA Cup line-up, with eight changes from last Saturday's defeat to Sunderland.

Nouha Dicko was handed his first start for the Club but limped off midway through the second half and Joel Robles was handed his debut in goal.

The pace was fast and furious from the start and Latics saw Macclesfield get stuck in but, Callum McManaman proved himself dangerous down the left wing and forced Theirry Audel into a cynical foul inside the area after just five minutes, giving Roger East no alternative than to point to the spot.

The build-up to the penalty was sublime as Jordi Gomez curled the ball from the middle around the full back and out to McManaman in the wide position.

McManaman used his pace and skill to get Audel in a spin and as soon as the forward broke into the box there was going to be no other outcome.

Gomez duly stepped up to convert the spot kick and send Latics into the lead.

The game ebbed and flowed in and out of Latics' control but Macclesfield continued to work their hardest to try and claim an equaliser.

Free kicks were the theme of the afternoon and the hosts had their fair share out in the wide positions but failed to make them count as Roman Golobart and Maynor Figueroa stood tall in the centre of defence.

There were a number of penalty shouts throughout the game as well, with the most blatant claim coming when Jordan Mustoe played McManaman into the box down the left, with the forward being dragged back by full back Ryan Jackson but nothing being given.

Macclesfield had their tails up as the game came to a close but the quality was lacking in the final third as shots from range were sent over the bar, in total three balls were lost as efforts flew out of the ground.

Latics were made to sweat towards the end as the referee played out five minutes of added time and the Silkmen continued to pepper the box with crosses but, they hung on for the victory and sent the 2,000 plus travelling support home happy and into the next round.

Advertisement block