Get to know our new striker a little better
Tired of our ten facts feature yet? Well we’re not, so here are some more on yet another summer signing, Grant Holt.
1. Grant was born on April 12 1981 in Carlisle, a after Latics drew 3-3 with Bradford City in a Division Four match at Valley Parade.
2. His former clubs include Workington, Halifax, Sheffield Wednesday, Nottingham Forest and Shrewsbury, and in 2001 had to work part-time in a factory when the club who had arranged to sign him, Carlisle United, went into administration.
3. The striker leaves Norwich City after four years at Carrow Road, scoring 68 goals in 154 league appearances.
4. Holt’s goal-scoring record at his former club was prolific, bagging 30 in all competitions during his first season at the club and 23 in his second, helping Norwich rise from League One to the Premier League.
5. During the Canaries’ first season back in the top flight, the forward scored 15 goals to finish the campaign as the division’s second highest English scorer, behind Wayne Rooney.
6. Holt’s mantelpiece has seen its fair share of personal honours which include Player of the Year awards with Nottingham Forest, Shrewsbury Town and with Norwich on three consecutive occasions between 2009 and 2012.
7. He has been named in three PFA Teams of the Year, for the Championship, League One and League Two.
8. In a Football League Trophy second round match against Wycombe Wanderers in 2008, Holt scored five goals in a 7-0 win for Shrewsbury.
9. He’ll be hoping to make his Latics debut against Barnsley on the opening day of the season, and debuts tend to go well for the frontman, scoring in his first game for Sheff Wed, Barrow, Nottingham Forest and Shrewsbury.
10. If it was a fox in the box that Owen Coyle wanted, that’s what he’s got with every one of Holt’s 23 Premier League goals for Norwich being scored from within the penalty area.