A few things you may not know about our new boy
Juan Carlos Garcia has become Wigan Athletic’s eighth signing of the summer transfer window, and here’s a few facts to help you get to know the latest Honduras international to arrive at the DW Stadium...
1. Garcia becomes the fifth Honduran to sign for the club following in the footsteps of Maynor Figueroa, Wilson Palacios, Hendry Thomas and current Latics man Roger Espinoza.
2. Born on March 8 1988 in Tela, a northern town in Honduras, the 25-year-old shares a Latics birthday with former midfielder Jamie Lawrence.
3. Three days before his birth, Latics slipped to a 3-2 defeat against Fulham at Craven Cottage in Division Three, with Mark Hilditch and David Thompson scoring the goals.
4. Garcia began his career with native side Marathon, rising through the youth ranks to make over 50 appearances for the club between 2007 and 2010.
5. In 2010 he made the move to Olimpia, the former club of Maynor Figueroa, Wilson Palacios and Hendry Thomas, with whom he won two Apertura titles and two Clausura titles.
6. In last year’s Apertura final against Victoria, Garcia was one of Olimpia’s goalscorers in the second leg, helping to record a 4-0 aggregate win.
7. His international bow came in July 2009 in a CONCACAF Gold Cup against Grenada, a game in which Honduras won 4-1 with Roger Espinoza getting on the scoresheet.
8. His first, and only, goal for Honduras came in February this year against USA in San Pedro Sula, in a World Cup Qualification match. An acrobatic overhead kick from inside the area shot past Tim Howard to help the team secure a 1-1 draw.
9. He played in his team’s Gold Cup Semi Final defeat to USA earlier this week, playing 90 minutes in Arlington, Texas.
10. The left-back will take up the number 23 shirt vacated by another full-back Ronnie Stam.