Get to know our sixth summer signing a little better
The signings keep on arriving at the DW Stadium this summer, with Marc-Antoine Fortune becoming the sixth new boy to join the club in little over a week. Here’s a few background details on another new face in the Dressing Room...
1. Fortune was born on July 2 1981 in Cayenne, French Guiana – on the same day former Latics striker Nathan Ellington.
2. Wigan Athletic is the tenth club of the striker’s professional career, and arrives at Latics on the back of three years at West Bromwich Albion.
3.His professional clubs include: Angouleme, Lille, Rouen, Stade Brest, Utrecht, Nancy, Celtic and Doncaster Rovers.
4. Thanks to his time at Parkhead and The Hawthorns he arrives in a Dressing Room at Latics with a few familiar faces ready to greet him, having played with Gary Caldwell, Shaun Maloney, Thomas Rogne and Scott Carson.
5. Marc-Antoine has scored three goals against Latics during his time playing for the Baggies, scoring a brace at The Hawthorns in May 2009 during a 3-1 win and grabbing another there in February 2011.
6. The goals for West Brom came over two spells at the club, arriving in the Midlands on loan in 2009 before joining permanently in 2010 after a season at Celtic.
7. Although his first spell at the Baggies lasted just half a season, he did score on his debut, against Middlesbrough, and his performances during that time led to him being named the Supporters’ Player of the Year at the end of the campaign.
8. His final appearances for West Brom came in some memorable games last season, scoring in a 3-0 win at Southampton in which debutant referee Robert Madley brandished three red cards including one for the striker himself, before playing in an incredible 5-5 draw with Manchester United in Sir Alex Ferguson’s last ever game in charge of the Red Devils.
9. Playing in the Europa League won’t be a new experience for the 32-year-old, having done so during his time at Celtic, scoring in a 3-3 draw with Rapid Vienna.
10. Fortune will take up the number 32 shirt at Latics, the number he wore at West Brom which has been vacated by Ryo Miyaichi.