A quick guide to Latics’ newest signing
As Wigan Athletic welcome new signing Chris McCann to the club, here’s ten facts about our Irish midfielder:
1. McCann was born on July 21 1987 in Dublin, and shares his birthday with former Latics players Paul Beesley, Gary Teale and Titus Bramble.
2. The midfielder began his career at Home Farm as a graduate of the Irish club’s youth system, the same club that nurtured former Wigan Athletic player Graham Kavanagh.
3. In 2005, he moved to England to join Championship side Burnley, making his debut against Coventry City at Turf Moor on August 13 that year.
4. His first professional goal also came at Turf Moor, in a league match against Ipswich Town a month later, in a 3-0 win for the Clarets.
5. Between 2005 and 2013 McCann made 238 league appearances for Burnely, scoring 27 goals, and in 2009 helped the club reach the Premier League under current Latics boss Owen Coyle.
6. During their promotion season of 2008/09, McCann was one of Coyle most consistent performers, and made 58 appearances, scoring eight goals in all competitions.
7. However, after picking up an injury during his influential performance in the playoff Final against Sheffield United, McCann’s Premier League appearances were limited to just seven, making a return the following season after Burnley were relegated.
8. Last season, the former Republic of Ireland Under-19 international made 43 appearances in all competitions for Sean Dyche’s side, scoring five goals.
9. His final goal for Burnley was scored at Turf Moor in a 3-1 win against Bristol City back in April.
10. Chris is yet to be confirmed with a new squad number at Latics, but last held the number six shirt at Burnley.