Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


13 March 2013

Bingham double sees Latics XI come from behind against Burnley's Development Squad at Turf Moor.

A.Trialist 66

Bingham 81, 83

After falling behind midway through the second half to a route one goal from Burnley's trialist striker, Latics burst into life as Rakish Bingham equalised and then sealed a win with a looping header.

Burnley made Latics work for the win in what was at times a very tight game.

Graham Barrow and Dennis Lawrence had first teamers Roger Espinoza, Fraser Fyvie, Adrian Lopez, Roman Golobart and Nouha Dicko at their disposal as well as their usual Under 21 players.

It was a cagey start from both sides as they warmed themselves up in the freezing Lancashire air at Burnley's Turf Moor.

Things got a little warmer when Nouha Dicko worked Latics' first chance of the game down the right side, cutting into the box after 25 minutes and dragging a shot just wide of the post with his left foot.

Latics upped the pressure, closing down Burnley keeper Jon Stewart often and almost forcing an error when Danny Redmond blocked the keeper's clearance but saw the ball go out into the empty stand behind rather than to his advantage.

It wasn't an incident filled first half but signs of things to come were on show early in the second as right back Miguel flashed a shot into the side netting.

Tim Chow and goal scorer Bingham added energy to the performance coming on 10 minutes into the second 45, and Bingham almost made an impact after just four minutes, narrowly missing out on a cross at the back post with the goal gaping.

On 66 minutes Latics' control of the game was lost as Stewart cleared long from the Burnley box and as the ball came down from the sky it was misjudged by Roman Golobart, allowing Burnley's trialist striker to run through on goal and coolly finish past Marko Marosi.

Despite being beaten for the goal, Marosi was in fine form during the afternoon and one minute before Latics' equaliser he kept them in the game pushing an Aryn Williams shot well away from his goal at a tight angle.

It was a calm nerve at the back post that saw Latics equalise as Miguel's cross from the right was taken down by Bingham in the area and with defenders and the keeper looking to block, he tucked the ball into the corner of the net with precision.

In first team fashion from the weekend's win against Everton, Latics were switched on again and two minutes later Bingham grabbed the winner.

Adrian Lopez, playing on the right of the back three, marauded forward down the right and floated in a cross towards Bingham who looped his header into the far corner of the goal.

Time ran out for the hosts to do anything about the quick fire Latics goals as Barrow's men saw out the victory.

Latics: Marosi, Buxton, Golobart, Lopez, R, Watson (Chow 56), Fyvie, Espinoza, Miguel, A.Trialist, Dicko (Orsula 86) , Redmond (Bingham 56) 
Unused subs: Cottrill, Angoy, Morris, Campabadal

Burnley: Stewart, O’Neill, Coleman, Conlan, Mills, Gallagher, Lowe, Richards, Jackson, Evans, A.Trialist.
Subs: Jakovlevs, McCartan, Daly, Frost, Williams

Advertisement block