Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 19/10/2013

19 October 2013


A Tom Ince penalty was the difference as Latics lost out 1-0 to Blackpool at Bloomfield Road, despite seeing a number of chances hit the woodwork and cleared off the line.

It turned into a game full of chances in the second half, with Scott Carson pulling off a string of fantastic late saves, but Latics couldn't battle back to avoid defeat, with things getting worse for them as James McClean saw a red card deep into stoppage time.

Latics returned to action in the Championship following the international break with the return of winger Callum McManaman after fully recovering from illness which saw him miss out on the Blackburn Rovers game.

It was a bright start to the half and Latics were clearly encouraged by the support shown from the sell out following in the temporary stand to their right.

After just four minutes, Emmerson Boyce's deflected cross from the right was inviting for James McArthur, but as it flicked high towards the back post he could only head wide as he battled hard to beat his marker to the ball.

Five minutes later Latics should have taken the lead when Ben Watson's free kick from the right was headed back across goal by Thomas Rogne and onto the head of Nick Powell, only for the Manchester United loanee to somehow head wide at close range.

Latics rued the missed chance on 24 minutes when Blackpool took the lead against the run of play.

A long ball forwards caught Latics out as Dan Gosling raced between defenders to latch onto the ball with Leon Barnett breathing down his neck.

Gosling got closer and close to goal down the left of the penalty area and was caught between a Scott Carson and Barnett sandwich as referee Mark Haywood pointed to the spot.

Tom Ince stepped up to thump Blackpool into the lead, with Latics left aggrieved after what had been a promising opening to the match.

With a goal now separating the teams, things became congested and both sides struggled to retain the ball.

Latics came close through Powell once more as he flicked on an in-swinging cross agonisingly wide of the foot of the post.

The second half continued to be a feisty Lancashire derby, but it took around 20 minutes to really warm up, with the introduction of Grant Holt and Marc-Antoine Fortune giving Latics real presence up top.

Shortly after coming on Holt was into the thick of the action, but it was defender Thomas Rogne who proved most dangerous when he hit the cross bar with a header, only for the ball to come back down to Emmerson Boyce who saw a swinging effort cleared off the line.

Moments later it was off the cross bar again and this time it was Holt with the effort as he flicked James Perch's in-swinging cross towards goal.

As time went on more and more chances came for both sides, first with Leon Barnett having a close range effort stopped on the line by Blackpool goalkeeper Matt Gilks and then Scott Carson was called into action at the other end as he made a string of impressive saves.

First he pushed a goal bound Ince effort around the post, then he saved a one-on-one with the Blackpool forward, before saving three times in a row off his line in a furious goal mouth scramble, only for the assistant on the near side to raise his flag for offside.

Latics' luck certainly wasn't in and then deep into stoppage time things got worse as an already booked James McClean was shown a red card for an off the ball incident as he claimed to have been stamped on.

Advertisement block