Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 14/09/2013

14 September 2013


A Liam Moore header from a corner inside 15 minutes and a penalty from David Nugent eight minutes from time saw Latics slip to their second away defeat of the season, this time at the hands of Leicester City.

Owen Coyle made just one change from the starting XI against Nottingham Forest before the international break, with James Perch coming into midfield.

The home side showed their intentions from very early on as the ball was forced forward from kick off.

Despite Leicester pushing and using their physical threat, it was Latics who came about the first two real chances of the game, first with Ben Watson gliding a shot wide of the bottom left post and then Roger Espinoza saw a left footed effort deflected behind for a corner off Wes Morgan.

The Foxes' play-making wide man Anthony Knockaert provided dangerous deliveries from out wide and particularly from set pieces.

It was the diminutive Frenchman who provided the assist for the opening goal of the game as he glided a corner into open space, with Liam Moore totally unmarked and allowed to meet the ball with ferocity to power it past Scott Carson with his head.

Three minutes after the opening goal half shouts for a penalty called out from Marc-Antoine Fortune as a raised arm by Morgan inside the area sent him to ground, referee David Webb had only one thing on his mind though, a goal kick.

During the international break Shaun Maloney scored delicate, match-winning free kick for Scotland against Macedonia and so with the ball lined up for a free kick 35 yards from Kasper Schmeichel's goal it looked like it would be Maloney to take.

Watson had other ideas and almost gave Latics that vital equaliser as Maloney rolled the ball in front of him, allowing the FA Cup match-winner to rifle a shot just wide of the bottom left post.

Latics continued to try and find away through up until half time, with Leon Barnett having a last minute shot at the back post beaten away by Schmeichel who breathed a sigh of relief.

Leicester made a strong start to the second half pushing forwards once again from the off, with Roger Espinoza sparing Latics' blushes with a last ditch tackle in the area as Jamie Vardy looked certain to turn in Nugent's simple ball across the box.

Around the hour mark Latics introduced three substitutes, with Callum McManaman, debutant Nick Powell and winger James McClean brought on.

The trio made a difference and forced Leicester into retreat, with McManaman bamboozling Paul Konchesky with clever step overs but not being able to provide a cross.

With 13 minutes remaining Emmerson Boyce came closest to equalising when he played a clever one-two with McManaman on the edge of the area, only to see his low cross deflect off Lloyd Dyer, forcing Schmeichel to turn the ball around the post.

Just as Latics looked to be turning a corner themselves, Leicester were awarded a penalty as Vardy got the wrong side of Beausejour in the box and tumbled, leaving referee Webb no option but to point to the spot.

Scott Carson almost had penalty taker Nugent scouted as he pointed and dove to the correct side, but his finger-tip save wasn't enough to keep the ball out as it nested in the corner for 2-0.

Leicester simply closed the game out from then on and with eight minutes remaining it was too late for a Latics come back.

Advertisement block