Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


7 September 2013

Latics miss out on the road in close encounter.

Ryan 28 (pen)
Molyneux 58
Anderson 70

Cosgrove 10
Leigh 30

After an impressive first half display praised by manager John Doolan, Latics fell from 2-1 up to 3-2 behind, losing out narrowly on the road for the second time this season as Shrewsbury Town grabbed all three points.

Sam Cosgrove and Danny Leigh scored either side of a Scott Ryan penalty but second half goals from Sam Molyneux and Kaiman Anderson were enough for the hosts.

Latics started the first half with a near perfect display as training ground routines paid off, with impressive movement and a high tempo.

Five minutes in and Cosgrove got his first bite of the action when Under 16 midfielder Joshua Gregory found Matthew Hamilton between the lines, who in turn fed Cosgrove one-on-one with the Shrewsbury goalkeeper, only for him to make a stretching saves with his foot.

On 10 minutes a carbon copy move this time saw Cosgrove give Latics the lead as Dieu Foukamene broke up play in midfield to kick-start an attack which saw Hamilton thread the goal scorer in with the 'keeper unable to keep Latics out for a second time.

With Latics cruising and searching for more goals, the Shrews got themselves a fortunate equaliser when the referee awarded a penalty for handball.

A corner kick created a melee in the area in which a follow up shot was deemed to have struck Sean Harrison on the arm.

Initially no penalty was given, until a Shrewsbury forward fired a close range shot over the bar, with the referee then calling play back to point to the spot.

Ryan stepped up to slip the ball under Latics' trialist goalkeeper and suddenly things were level.

Despite the dubious turn of events, Latics didn't let that get the better of them and two minutes later they were back in front.

A superb flowing move saw the ball worked from Harrison in defence to Gregory in midfield, he once again found the excellent movement of Hamilton, who in turn spread the ball wide to Lloyd Bannister.

Marauding right full back spotted an opportunity, over-lapping Bannister to run through one-on-one with the keeper and slot away his second goal of the season for 2-1.

The second half was a completely different story as the home side came out on top.

A simple goal was gifted to Shrewsbury for their second equaliser of the game as Latics' goalkeeper was forced under pressure from a free kick passed back to him from his defence, clearing only to Josh Ginnelly who played through Sam Molyneux to slide the ball in for 2-2.

Latics' defence were opened up for what turned out to be the winner as Dave Easthope played in a high ball towards goal scorer Anderson, he judged the bounce better than the central defenders and from that he lobbed Latics' stranded goalkeeper to nestle the ball into the net.

Shrewsbury frustrated Latics for the remainder of the game with tight defensive work, holding out for all three points.

Shrewsbury: Rowley, Hickman, Smith (Jones 60), Carpenter, Millis, Fletcher, Easthope, Ryan (Molyneux 45), Flint, Ginnelly, Anderson (Watkins 60)
Unused subs: Lewis, Jarman

Latics: Trialist, Leigh, Anson, Harrison, Trialist, Gregory, Foukamene, Bannister, Hamilton, Carey, Cosgrove
Subs: Gibbons, Baxendale

Advertisement block