Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


12 December 2014

Joe Parkinson's side bow out of Premier League Cup on penalties at Lancashire FA.

  • Latics knocked out on penalties after 4-4 draw.
  • Jennings and Hamilton both score twice.
  • 4-1 penalty defeat sees Latics exit to Bolton.

Iliev 24, 30, 85
Odelusi 43

Jennings 1, 54
Hamilton 45, 47

Latics Development Squad went out of the Barclays Under 21 Premier League Cup to local rivals Bolton Wanderers at Lancashire FA on Friday evening.

The score finished 4-4 after extra-time, before the Trotters scored all four of their penalties to win 4-1 in a penalty shootout.

A brace apiece for Ryan Jennings and Matty Hamilton looked to have secured a 4-3 win for Joe Parkinson’s side who trailed 3-1 after a double from Georg Iliev and a Sanmi Odelusi strike.

But Iliev’s third of the evening sent the tie to extra-time and Latics eventually bowed out as Hamilton and Sam Cosgrove saw their spot-kicks saved by Ross Fitzsimons.

Parkinson and his staff could not have wished for a better start in Leyland as Jennings opened the scoring, as he did at Nottingham Forest in the previous round, with a goal of the finest class.

The Gorton-based winger plucked the ball out of the sky before driving in from the right and unleashing a superb 25-yard left-foot curler into Fitzsimons’ bottom left-hand corner.

Wanderers were level midway through the first-half as Iliev founds space inside the Latics penalty area and fired into the roof of Lee Nicholls’ net.

Bolton were ahead six minutes later as Tom Walker’s near post flick hit the bar before Iliev was quickest to respond to volley home his second.

And, on the stroke of half-time, that lead was doubled as Latics’ defence failed to get enough on a clearance before the ball sat nicely for Odelusi to fire home from 20 yards.

But Hamilton kept the tie alive seconds from the break; the Republic of Ireland youth international playing a neat one-two with Cosgrove before sliding under Fitzsimons from close range.

Hamilton grabbed his second to level the score after just two second-half minutes, finishing with composure from a Thomas Rogne knock-down.

Seven minutes later, Latics completed their turnaround as Hamilton turned provider to play in Jennings who finished superbly as he entered the penalty area.

That goal looked to have won it for Latics but, five minutes from time, Iliev completed his hat-trick, finishing a cross after an Odelusi mis-kick.

There were few opportunities for either side in the opening 25 minutes of extra-time with Hamilton forcing a low save out of Fitzsimons as close as Latics went.

But Luke Burke went close to a spectacular winning as he unleashed a superb hit from 35 yards which bounced back off the crossbar with Fitzsimons well beaten.

Iliev continued his scoring run from the spot with the opening spot-kick, though Nicholls was unfortunate as the ball crept just under his body.

Hamilton then saw his take saved by Fitzsimons who sprawled to his right before Oscar Threlkeld made it 2-0 to Bolton.

Cosgrove’s penalty was then also saved by Fitzsimons before the Trotters gained full control as Tom Walker made it 3-0.

Substitute Louis Robles scored to give Latics hope but Niall Maher made sure of the win for Bolton who face Reading in the last 16.

Latics: Nicholls, Burke, Balogun, Poole, Rogne, Wilson, Jennings, Chow (Purzycki 113), Coosgrove, Hamilton, Flores (Robles 100).

Subs not used: Keane, Langford.

Bolton: Fitzsimmons, Maher, Sellers, Threlkeld, Taylor, Woodland (Finney 88), Lester (Matthews 80), Walker, Woolery (Holding 67), Iliev, Odelusi.

Subs not used: Campbell, Ball.

Advertisement block