Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 06/12/2014

6 December 2014


Wigan Athletic succumbed to only their second defeat at home this season, as Norwich City claimed all three points on a gloomy day at the DW Stadium.

An early goal from Jonny Howson proved to be the difference for the visitors, who made sure that both sides from East Anglia have been able to travel home with all three points this season.

Latics made three changes that lost the game at Hillsborough on Saturday, with Shaun Maloney, James Perch and Maynor Figueroa coming in for Boyce, Forshaw and Ramis. 

There was a tangible buzz of excitement coming in to the game, with many supporters taking up the opportunity to enjoy the entertainment provided for Northern Soul Day in South East Corner.

However, the visitors soon dampened spirits, by taking the lead in the fifth minute through Jonny Howson.

The goalscorer picked up the ball on the right hand side of the area after a clever ball from striker Gary Hooper, and fired his shot past Scott Carson into the bottom left hand corner.

Norwich could have had a second within a minute, when Cameron Jerome was released down the right, but the striker’s effort was straight at Carson.

Latics took a while to get a foot-hold in the game, and after several miss-fired crosses, registered their first attempt on goal on the half hour mark, when Fortune controlled a long ball impressively, before turning and shooting straight at John Ruddy.

Fortune’s effort seemed to galvanise Wigan a little, and Callum McManaman produced the best effort of the half five minutes later, when he cut inside and fizzed the ball narrowly past the right hand post from the edge of the area.

Chris McCann caught the eye with his forward runs and positive play in the first interval, and the midfielder pushed until the whistle, stinging Ruddy’s hands with a long range effort.

Wigan came out for the second half in a similar vein, and the hosts struggled to get hold of the ball for a definitive amount of time.

There were moments of positivity however, and James Perch almost put his side level with the best move of the game in the 52nd minute.

The defender reacted first to meet McClean’s clever free kick, but could not direct his diving header past John Ruddy, having been a matter inches either side of doing so.

Latics almost did get the breakthrough eight minutes from time, when Fortune caused a goalmouth scramble. The forward’s cross could not be turned in by McClean or McManaman after Ruddy had spilled the ball into their paths.

Wigan continued to try a find a breakthrough, with Andy Delort being introduced in the dying moments, but Norwich held on to secure the win.

Advertisement block