Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


6 December 2014

Robles scores twice as Latics grab deserved draw from 2-0 down.

  • Latics grab deserved draw from 2-0 down.
  • Robles scores twice to ensure unbeaten run continued.
  • Winning streak stops at nine, but Latics now 12 unbeaten.

Robles 73, 75


Peter Atherton's Latics fought hard to comeback from 2-0 down to continue their unbeaten run as Louis Robles scored two second half goals in a 45 minutes which saw the Under 18s dominate against Tranmere Rovers.

Despite being on top for the majority of the game, Latics' concentration slipped twice in the first half, finding themselves two goals behind at the break despite hitting the post in stoppage time.

Robles' double ensured a draw, but in fairness Latics could have taken all three points, with two efforts cleared off the line in a commanding second half.

Latics' top goal scorer had the first chance of the game after just nine minutes, when Luke Burke and Alex Cvetkovic combined down the right to find Robles inside the area, but his thumping drive was turned around the post.

Four minutes later and Burke created a second chance, clipping a left footed cross over the centre back for Robles, only for the keeper to smother.

Latics continued to carve out chances in the first half, with Cvetkovic turning a Cosgrove flick on just wide of the right post. But it was the visitors who took the lead, arguably against the run of play when a slip in defence allowed Tranmere's forward to scamper through one-on-one just after the half hour mark.

Tranmere doubled their lead on 37 minutes when a bizarre free kick from the left touchline caught out Owen Evans in Latics' goal.

With a minute remaining in the first half Latics came the width of the post away from grabbing one back, when Robles knocked down Burke's cross for Cvetkovic on the half volley, the ball cannoning back off the outside of the post.

A minute into the second half and Latics looked sharp, strikers Cosgrove and Robles started to combine, and in a two minute spell on the hour mark, Adrian Purzycki volleyed just wide of the left post, Robles had a shot cleared off the line and Burke's effort from the edge of the area was deflected just wide.

Latics continued to knock at the door and just moments after Burke's chance, Liam Lambert had a shot turned away from the right post as Tranmere scampered to try and hold onto their lead.

On 73 minutes Tranmere's resolve was broken when Lambert clipped the ball over the defence for Robles to turn into the bottom right corner with a one-touch finish.

Two minutes later and Latics were deservedly level with Robles' second.  Lambert's shot from inside the left edge hit the striker, dropped down to his feet and was turned in swiftly for 2-2.

Latics continue to attempt to grab all three points, but clear cut chances evaded them in the final moments as Tranmere held on.

The draw maintained Latics' unbeaten run which now stands at 12 games in all competitions.

Latics: Evans, Burke, McNally, Gregory, Harrison, Langford, Cvetkovic (Baxendale 87), Purzycki, Cosgrove, Robles, Lambert (Lingard 82)
Unused subs: Absalom, Anson, Redmayne

Advertisement block