Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


9 December 2014

Latics come from behind to win 4-1 in LFA Youth Cup quarter final.

  • Latics power past Preston with 4-1 win at Robin Park.
  • Cosgrove on target twice alongside Anson and Purzycki.
  • Latics into LFA Youth Cup semi-final.

Cosgrove 40, 60
Anson 51
Purzycki 90+4

Livesey 30

Latics sealed their place in the Lancashire FA Youth Cup in style with a 4-1 victory against local rivals Preston North End, coming from behind with two goals from Adam Anson, Adrian Purzycki and a Sam Cosgrove double at Robin Park Arena.

The powerful win made it 13 games unbeaten for Peter Atherton's Latics, reacting well to a set back on 30 minutes when the visitors took the lead.  Cosgrove equalised with a free kick and Anson put Latics ahead, before Cosgrove headed in his second and Purzycki sealed the win in stoppage time.

Latics made four changes from their 2-2 draw with Tranmere Rovers at the weekend, as Anson, Arnie Baxendale, Alex Lingard and goalkeeper Kelland Absalom all came into the staring XI.

It was a fast start to proceedings for the hosts, with chances for Alex Cvetkovic, Luke Burke and Purzycki, but the agony of a double post hit kept the scores level just 15 minutes in.

Polish youth international Purzycki played a neat one-two with Cosgrove in a tight spot running into the area, before firing right footed off the right post.  The ball bounced back into play and was half cleared by Preston to the right of the area, but Anson gathered for Latics, crossing towards Cosgrove who turned the ball off the outside of the right post.

Latics were linking up well down both wings, on the right Cvetkovic was giving Preston a headache with his powerful running, and on the left it was the combination of Lingard and Liam Lambert who constantly switched positions to confuse the visitors.

Unfortunately for Latics they fell behind against the run of play on the half an hour mark, when Sam Livesey fired in the opening goal, across the keeper from the right side of the area and into the bottom left corner.

Preston began to gain confidence, but Latics soon composed themselves and six minutes later Cosgrove fired a warning shot, headed narrowly over the bar.

On 40 minutes Cosgrove grabbed a deserved equaliser in style, whipping a free kick around the wall and into the bottom right corner from 20 yards following a foul on Cvetkovic.

The second half started quickly, Purzycki showing Preston a sign of things to come when his effort was deflected over the bar off a defender's head.

On 51 minutes Latics had their lead and it came from a poachers finish as Anson followed up a parry from the goalkeeper to tap in from close range.  Cvetkovic hit the original shot first time down the right of the box, but it was too hard for Dalton to handle, allowing Anson (primarily a centre back) to finish.

An hour in and Latics were enjoying themselves, so much so that they made it 3-1 with another stylish goal, just moments after Reece McNally nearly bundled the ball over the line from a corner.

It was to be Cosgrove with his second of the game though, as he guided a perfect cross from Arnie Baxendale into the top right corner.  The cross from the right was every striker's dream, simple but highly effective from Latics.

Latics continued to carve out chances as the second half came to a close, Lingard hitting the side netting and Cvetkovic coming a foot away from tapping in an Anson cross.

The final goal did come eventually much to the delight of Purzycki who danced through the Preston defence, before poking the ball between the goalkeeper's legs to seal Latics' spot in the semi-final.

Latics: Absalom, Baxendale, Lambert, Burke (Foukamene 83), Harrison, McNally, Cvetkovic, Purzycki, Cosgrove (Robles 73), Anson, Lingard (Redmayne 87)
Unused subs: Evans, Gregory

Advertisement block