Get to know Latics' latest signing Markus Holgersson.Here is your chance to get to know new Wigan Athletic defender Markus Holgersson with our 10 facts.
1. Born 16 April 1985 in Landskrona, Sweden, Markus shares his birthday with fellow Swedish defender and former Latics man Andreas Granqvist. He also shares his birthday with Latics legend Arjan De Zeeuw (1970).
2. Holgersson played alongside Granqvist at youth level with Swedish club Helsingborgs, the pair went their separate ways, eventually playing their football on opposite sides of the world, with Granqvist now at Kuban Krasnodar and Holgersson formerly at New York Red Bulls.
3. Markus becomes the fourth Swedish player at Wigan Athletic, following in the footsteps of Granqvist, Andreas Johansson and Erik Edman.
4. Holgersson began his career in his native Sweden, playing first team football in Division Three with Hoganas BK (2004) and with Division Two side Angelholms FF (2005-2008).
5. In 2009 he returned to Helsingborgs until 2011, playing 80 times in the league and scoring five goals.
6. His final season at the club in 2011 saw Holgersson play a big role in Helsingborgs domestic treble win, the first Swedish side to complete such an achievement as they won the Swedish Cup, Super Cup and League.
7.During the treble winning season Holgersson played alongside former Latics players Erik Edman and Rachid Bouaouzan.
8. In January 2012 Markus moved to New York Red Bulls in the MLS, playing 31 times and scoring three goals in his first season, followed by 32 appearances in 2013 as the Red Bulls won the MLS Supporters' Shield.
9. During his first season in the USA Holgersson won Defender of the Year for the Red Bulls.
10. Markus received his first international call up in January 2012, earning his first cap in a 5-0 victory against Qatar Under 23s.