Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 18/01/2014

18 January 2014


Wigan Athletic's unbeaten run under manager Uwe Rosler came to an end at the hands of Doncaster Rovers at the Keepmoat Stadium, with the hosts taking advantage and finishing their chances in a 3-0 win.

Chris Brown gave Rovers the lead after just seven minutes with a tidy, close range finish, Richie Wellens doubled the lead seven minutes into the second half after a clearance hit him and squeezed over the line, with Brown grabbing his second to wrap up the points for Doncaster from the penalty spot.

Uwe Rosler made six changes from the starting line-up at MK Dons in the midweek FA Cup replay, with the most notable changes seeing new signing Nicky Maynard making his debut, and on loan Everton defender Ty Browning making his first start for the club in front of a 1,700 plus travelling support.

Four minutes in and Latics summed up their day in front of goal when Leon Barnett put a free header from a corner over the cross bar, allowing Doncaster to pounce three minutes later with Brown's first of the match.

Wellens found the strapping striker lurking unmarked on the edge of the six yard box, and Brown did the rest, placing his shot to the left of an outstretched Al Habsi.

Doncaster caught Latics early and made it uncomfortable, but shortly after the opening goal debutant Maynard and the dangerous Nick Powell came close.

Jordi Gomez found Maynard down the right of the area, and on the turn the 27-year-old lashed a volley over Ross Turnbull's head, with the keeper getting a fingertip to the ball to divert it over his bar.

Powell then missed the chance of the half for Latics. Played through the middle by Gomez, Powell shrugged off two challenging defenders and attempted to lob the out-rushing Turnbull, but unfortunately his effort went over and wide.

Latics started the second half on top, but only for seven minutes when Wellens grabbed Doncaster's second in bizarre circumstances.

Coppinger attacked down the right of the area, getting a shot away at close range following a miss-kicked Leon Barnett clearance, Ali Al Habsi saved, but could only parry to his left. Coppinger got back to his feet to squeeze the ball between the goalkeeper and the right post, and Wellens followed the ball in at the second attempt.

Confusion settled in the Keepmoat as neither the referee nor linesman seemed confident of giving the goal as Browning seemingly cleared off the line, but the eventual decision had Latics 2-0 down.

A third goal followed on 69 minutes when Browning's challenge on Harry Forrester gave Doncaster a penalty as they raced into the area down the left.

Brown confidently stepped up to fire into the bottom left corner, with Al Habsi getting fingertips to the spot kick.

The final talking point of the game came when Paul Keegan jumped in two-footed on Beausejour but was only brandished a yellow card, another frustrating mark for the afternoon for Latics and their manager Uwe Rosler who saw their unbeaten run come to a close.

Advertisement block