Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 27/09/2014

27 September 2014


Goals from Yann Kermorgant and Simon Francis sealed a 2-0 win for Bournemouth at the Goldsands Stadium.

Wigan had chances to get on the scoresheet, with substitute Andy Delort looking promising, but despite their possession Latics are still winless on the road this season.

Latics manager Uwe Rosler made four changes to the side which lost to Ipswich Town on Monday night, with Martyn Waghorn, Emyr Huws, Marc-Antoine Fortune and Andrew Taylor coming in to replace Shaun Maloney, Callum McManaman, William Kvist and Andy Delort.

The hosts started brightly, and Wigan Athletic were under pressure as soon as the first minute, with Callum Wilson looking particularly dangerous going forward for Bournemouth.

Latics tried to make an impact on the game in the opening stages, but found it difficult to penetrate the defensive line of the hosts, despite the strength of Waghorn and Fortune.

Wigan tried to push forward in the opening fifteen minutes of the game themselves, winning a flurry of throws down the right hand side, but they were lucky to escape on the quarter hour mark, when Wilson’s dangerous cross was scrambled away before Yann Kermorgant could finish from close range.

Bournemouth pushed forward again a minute later, with Matt Richie striking the ball from just outside the edge of the area, only for it to roll safely past Scott Carson in the Wigan Athletic goal.

The game began to liven up, and Wigan made their first move on the break, with Adam Forshaw finding Emyr Huws 30 yards out, who couldn’t get his effort on target.

Proceedings continued in a similar end-to-end fashion for the next five minutes, with another Matt Richie effort rolling just wide of the goal, before Scott Carson produced a stunning save a minute later to deny Kermorgant, who thought he had scored.

The forward received the ball from Junior Stanislas in the area, and curled the ball towards the right hand corner, only for Carson to pull out a terrific one handed save to keep the scores level.

Wigan Athletic broke again, and were unlucky not to have tested Artur Boruc, when Fortune’s low cross from the right just evaded the waiting Waghorn.

Bournemouth continued to look dangerous however, and took the lead in the 36th minute, when Richie’s cross was met by Kermorgant at the far post, who looped the ball past Carson and into the opposite corner.

Wigan tried to fight back, and Martyn Waghorn attempted to level the game right at the end of the first half, with an audacious effort from a free kick 35 yards out, but the forward was unable to hit the target and Wigan went into the interval a goal down.

Uwe Rosler sent his side out early for the second half, making no changes. The manager’s action looked to have had a positive effect, with his side seeing plenty of the ball early on, but again Latics struggled to put together a move that could cut through the hosts’ defence.

Bournemouth meanwhile were clinical going forward and could have doubled their lead on the hour mark, when Wilson found himself with two opportunities to fire at Scott Carson, only for the ball to eventually be hooked clear to safety.

The hosts doubled their lead five minutes later, when Simon Francis was played into the right hand side of the area, and had no problem tucking the ball past Carson from close range.

Wigan tried to reply, with the introduction of Oriol Riera sparking some imagination into Latics’ play, but the hosts continued to hold strong at the back.

Latics looked better in the final ten minutes, and Emyr Huws was unlucky not to hit the target, when his looping header dropped wide from a free kick.

Substitute Andy Delort tried to pull a goal back for his side, first with a dinked effort from the edge of the area, before attempting a with a stinging free kick at the death from 30 yards, but Boruc was equal to both and produced two good saves, meaning that Wigan were unable find their first away win of the season.

Advertisement block