Learn more about Gaetan Bong with our fact file.
- Bong signs for Latics on deadline day.
- Cameroon international becomes sixth signing for Malky Mackay.
- Read more about Gaetan Bong below.
2. He began his career in the youth ranks at French side Metz, making his professional debut on 10 December 2005 in a 1-1 draw away at Sochaux. Bong made 16 first team appearances for Metz.
3. Joined Tours FC on loan in the 2008/09 season, playing 36 games in all competitions.
4. Bong left Metz in 2009 to join then Ligue 1 side Valenciennes, where he made 109 appearances and scored two goals, the first of which came in a 2-0 away victory against US Boulogne on 20 January 2010.
5. On 12 August 2009, Bong made his first appearance for France Under 21s as a substitute against Poland.
6. He chose to represent the country of his birth Cameroon at senior international level, earning his first cap on 1 June 2010 in a friendly against Portugal.
7. Bong went on to feature in Cameroon’s 2010 World Cup squad, playing in their final group stage game against Netherlands. Since then his total number of caps has reached 13.
8. After four years at Valenciennes from 2009-2013, Bong joined Greek Superleague Champions Olympiacos.
9. He made his Olympiacos debut on 25 August 2013 in a 2-1 victory over Atromitos, the same team Latics beat 2-1 at Leigh Sports Village a month earlier during pre-season.
10. Bong made a total of 29 appearances in all competitions before leaving Olympiacos. He featured in four UEFA Champions League games, including in victories against Anderlecht and Benfica.