Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


7 January 2015

Johnson double seals 3-1 win as Waghorn scores on return.

  • Latics come from behind to win 3-1 at Wrexham.
  • Johnson's second half double claims the points.
  • Waghorn equalises on return as Fyvie also comes back from injury.

Moult 22

Waghorn 26
Johnson 79, 81

Latics made it three straight victories in the Final Third Development League West to go top of the league, as Joey Johnson's second half double added to Martyn Waghorn's equaliser for a 3-1 win.

Falling behind to Louis Moult's 22nd minute opener, Latics worked hard throughout, drawing level just four minutes later, before stepping up the tempo in a second half which saw Johnson convert from the spot and hammer in a fierce effort following a solo run.

Waghorn was making his first appearance of any kind since November following a shoulder injury, with Fraser Fyvie also back in to start after sustaining a lengthy lay off due to a back injury.  First team squad members William Kvist and Thomas Rogne also featured.

Despite falling behind, it was Latics who made the brighter start at Wrexham's Colliers Park Training Ground, with the returning Fyvie flashing wide of the right post just two minutes in.

Early exchanges of possession and wide play had both sides looking dangerous, but it was the hosts who took the lead when Louis Moult and Andy Bishop countered from a Latics free kick, exchanging the ball on the edge of the area before Moult tucked it away.

Four minutes later and Latics were given a perfect chance to draw level when Fyvie was tumbled in the box.  Waghorn stepped up, saw his effort saved by Andy Coughlin, but calmly followed in the rebound on the line.

The striker came close to a second goal just before half time, on this occasion lifting the ball over the wall and over the bar from a free kick.

Five minutes into the second half Latics began to show their intent for the remainder of the game when Ryan Jenning's close control allowed for him to produce a left footed shot from the edge of the area, just wide of the right post.

Latics began to turn the screw, bizarrely going close to 2-1 just after the hour mark when Waghorn's clipped effort from the half way line bounce back down off the underside of the cross bar.  Wrexham goalkeeper Coughlin was confident of the 24-year-olds effort going over the bar, but much to his surprise he was forced to turn around and catch the knock down.

Tim Chow and Sam Cosgrove were introduced shortly after as Waghorn and Fyvie departed.

Latics eventually got the lead their play deserved when Jennings darted down the left side, but a couple of step overs later found himself grounded, with the referee pointing to the penalty spot.

It was the start of an excellent two minutes for penalty taker Johnson, who first slotted the spot kick down the middle, before making it 3-1 on 81 minutes.

Wrexham kicked off, Latics fought back for possession and in a flash Johnson ran down the right to hammer his second goal over the keeper from a tight angle.

The 19-year-old attempted to force his hat-trick goal, but saw a volley from the edge of the area held by Coughlin as Latics settled with a 3-1 victory to send them top of the league.

Wrexham: Coughlin, White, Stephens, Tomassen, Royle, Keates, Durrell, Clarke (Roper 67), Bailey-Jones, Moult, Bishop
Subs: Sharp, Doran, Cartwright, Rushton, Whittington

Latics: Keane, Wilson, Balogun (Poole 75), Kvist, Rogne, Fyvie (Chow 64), Jennings, Johnson, Waghorn (Cosgrove 70), Hamilton, Flores
Subs: Evans, Burke

Advertisement block