Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


18 January 2015

Latics into fourth round with goals from Purzycki, Anson and Robles.

  • Latics win 3-2 in Youth Alliance Cup Third Round.
  • Purzycki and Anson on target in the first half.
  • Robles' header proves crucial as Latics battle to progress.

Purzycki 10
Anson 22
Robles 54


Latics continued their Football League Youth Alliance Cup run on Saturday morning at Robin Park Arena, coming from 1-0 down to win 3-2 against Lincoln City.

In testing conditions, Adrian Purzycki pulled Latics immediately level following a ninth penalty for Lincoln, with Adam Anson giving Peter Atherton's side.  Lincoln equalised from a fortuitous cross which deflected over goalkeeper Owen Evans, but in a tight second half, it was the head of top goal scorer Louis Robles that settled the tie.

In the main Latics controlled the 90 minutes, but after a bright start a mistake in midfield allowed Lincoln to take the upper hand.  Rushing straight through on goal down the middle their centre forward was bundled down in the box by Evans, who had no choice but to challenge for the ball.  Lincoln converted into the bottom left corner for 1-0.

Less than a minute later Purzycki had the ball in the back of the net and Latics were level.  Cutting in from the right Alex Cvetkovic played a solid pass to the Polish youth international, with Purzycki taking a touch, before half volleying into the bottom right corner.

Level and with another goal in their sights, Latics stepped up their game and on 22 minutes they forced themselves ahead.  A shot from the edge of the area by Cvetkovic was spilled by the Lincoln goalkeeper, straight into the path of Anson for his third goal of the season.

With half time approaching and 2-1 looking the likely score line, the visitors got a huge slice of luck when a cross from the left side clipped the full back and flew over Evans' head for 2-2.

Nine minutes into the second half Latics were back on top.  Sean Harrison's header from Cvetkovic's corner was spilled by the keeper, allowing Robles to nod home from close range for 3-2.

The game became scrappy in parts due to the conditions, with sleet, rain and hailstone all hammering the surface and churning up the pitch.

Latics still managed to carve out chances throughout the second half, but with just a one goal difference they were forced to remain alert in the final stages to hold out the Young Imps.

Five minutes of added time couldn't give the visitors the inspiration to claw level, as Latics remained firm and held out to progress into the fourth round.

Latics: Evans, Sheron (Burke 70), Harrison, Langford, Cvetkovic, Gregory, Barrigan, Purzycki, Lambert, Anson, Robles
Unused Subs: Absalom, Lingard, McNally, Merrie

Advertisement block