Find out more about our new midfielder David Perkins.
- Perkins agreed to join Latics from Blackpool in May.
- Midfielder officially joins club on July 1.
- Over 300 appearances across the Football League.
2. Perkins began his career with local club Morecambe in 2000, making his debut for the then Conference side as an 18-year-old in a 3-2 away defeat against Lincoln City on 28 November.
3. The midfielder scored his first career goal on 28 January 2006 in a 3-1 away win at Crawley Town. Former Latics forward Stuart Barlow had earlier grabbed a brace in the same game, and former midfielder Ged Brannan was an unused substitute.
4. Highly rated in non-league, Perkins was capped by England C nine times during his stay with Morecambe. Pictured below, Perkins is in action against Iraq in 2004 at Macclesfield Town’s Moss Rose.
5. Perkins joined Rochdale in January 2007 and made his debut on the 27th as a first half substitute in a 5-0 home win against MK Dons. This was also the midfielder’s Football League debut.
6. It was mixed emotions for Perkins in his first full season at Spotland, playing 45 times and scoring six goals, including in their play-off semi-final victory over Darlington. In the same game things turned on their head for the midfielder after he was showed a red card in extra time before Dale’s penalty shootout win.
7. On 14 August 2007 he scored his first goal for Rochdale in a 2-2 draw against Stoke City in the League Cup. Perkins’ first Football League goals came in extraordinary fashion as he grabbed a hat-trick in a 4-3 away win against Chesterfield.
Perkins celebrates with Rochdale team mates.
8. Ahead of the 2008-09 season Perkins signed for Colchester United, scoring six goals in 43 appearances in his first season and playing a total of 91 games before his departure in 2011.
9. Perkins joined Barnsley in 2011 for his first taste of Championship football. He played 100 times for the Tykes before joining Blackpool in January 2014.
10. Prior to his move to the DW Stadium this summer, Perkins has played against Latics four times in the previous two seasons (whilst playing for Barnsley and Blackpool). He made 67 appearances in all competitions during his time with the Bloomfield Road outfit.