Learn more about our new defender Reece James.
- 10 facts to get to know Reece James.
- Defender signed from Manchester United.
- James joins Latics on a three-year-deal.
1. Reece James was born on 7 November 1993 in Bacup, Lancashire. He shares his birthday with former Latics midfielder David Hamilton (1960).
2. James began his footballing career with Rossendale United, before spending time as a youth at Blackburn Rovers and Preston North End, later moving to Manchester United for his final year as an Under 18.
3. The versatile left back made his professional debut in League One against Leyton Orient on 3 August 2013, whilst on loan at Carlisle United from Old Trafford.
4. Reece is the younger brother of Leicester City midfielder Matty James, also a fellow Man United youth product.
5. The 21-year-old made his competitive debut for United against MK Dons in the Capital One Cup on 26 August 2014, coming up against fellow summer signing Will Grigg who scored twice.
6. James joined Rotherham United on loan in the 2014/15 campaign, playing eight times, including in the Millers' 2-1 victory over Latics at the DW Stadium. James formed part of the defence alongside his fellow summer signing Craig Morgan.
7. The full back had a second spell in Yorkshire during the 2014/15 season, this time he linked up with Huddersfield Town on loan for the final two months of the season, playing six times.
Reece James in action on loan with Huddersfield Town.
8. James scored his first professional goal whilst on loan at the John Smith's Stadium, with the Terriers drawing 4-4 at home to Derby County.
9. During his time at Old Trafford, James was shortlisted for the club's Under 21 Player of the Year in 2013/14 after making more appearances than any of his team mates. He narrowly missed out to Saidy Janko.
10. Before making his competitive debut for Man United, James made an appearance for the first team during their pre-season clash with LA Galaxy in July 2014, scoring a brace in a 7-0 victory.
Reece James celebrates in 7-0 win against LA Galaxy in 2014.