Young Everton pair join Latics on loan as Gary Caldwell starts to shape his squad.
- Francisco Junior joins Wigan Athletic on loan from Everton.
- Jonjoe Kenny joins Wigan Athletic on loan from Everton.
- “We need competition for places,” says Gary Caldwell.
Both players have joined the team as they travel to Scotland today, ahead of tonight’s game against Partick Thistle, followed by a training camp and a second match on Friday, against Dundee.
23-year-old Junior joins on a month loan and is a product of the world-renowned Benfica academy and signed for Everton in 2012. He has spent time on loan in Holland with Vitesse Arnhem, in Norway for Stromsgodset and finished off last season with a loan spell at Port Vale. He has made one first team appearance for the Toffees and has represented Portugal at Under 19 and Under 21 levels.
18-year-old Kenny, who joins on loan for two months, is another player whom Everton feel could have a future at his home town club, and Latics manager Gary Caldwell said he hopes that he can grab the opportunity of first team football with both hands.
Kenny has represented England at Under 17 and Under 18 levels, and appeared on the substitutes' bench for Everton in last season's Europa League.
He said: “In both cases, it’s up to the players to impress us and create the competition in the squad which every successful team needs, and then we will assess their progress.”
- DEBUTS: Photos from Francisco Junior and Jonjoe Kenny's first appearances for Latics.
- PRE-SEASON: The latest Latics news from Scotland.
- LATICS PLAYERHD: The best place to follow Latics in 2015.