Reece James joins Wigan Athletic from Manchester United.
- Reece James joins Wigan Athletic from Manchester United.
- Defender joins Latics from Manchester United after loan spell at Huddersfield.
- “He’s a young player with a bright future.” – Gary Caldwell.
The 21-year-old has put pen to paper on a three-year-deal at the DW Stadium and has joined up with the rest of the Latics squad as they travel to Scotland for a training camp this week.
Gary Caldwell, Latics manager said, “Reece is a young player with a bright future. He has been schooled by one of the best academies around and has impressed both at Under 21 level and whilst on loan.
“He is another who will strengthen competition on that left side, and has played as a full-back, or in a wing back role. Once again, there were clubs after him so we’re delighted to add him to the squad.”
Bacup-born James has been a professional with the Manchester United Development squad since 2012, making one appearance for the first team in a competitive match. He also scored twice on his first team debut in a pre-season match at LA Galaxy in the summer of 2014
He enjoyed two separate loan spells at Championship clubs last season, starting with Rotherham United, then at Huddersfield Town. He also had a short spell at Carlisle United in 2013-14.
He joins David Perkins, Richard O’Donnell, Craig Morgan, Donervon Daniels, Sanmi Odelusi, Max Power, Craig Davies and Will Grigg as the new arrivals at the DW Stadium this summer.
- 10 FACTS: Get to know Reece James more with our fact file.
- PRE-SEASON: More from Latics' preparations on our news feed.
- LATICS PLAYERHD: The best place to follow pre-season in 2015!