Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


10 March 2015

Comfortable 4-0 win as Latics hold on to top spot.

  • Latics down Shrewsbury 4-0 in the Final Third Development League.
  • Waghorn, Barnett, Robles and Chow on target.
  • Mckay and Barnett complete 90 minutes, with Waghorn 55.

Waghorn 6
Barnett 8
Robles 20
Chow 89


Three goals in a powerful opening 20 minutes sent Latics on their way against Shrewsbury Town at Christopher Park in the Final Third Development League West, with Martyn Waghorn, Leon Barnett and Louis Robles all on target, before Tim Chow rounded off the scoring with just a minute remaining.

Shrewsbury had no response to the quick-fire goals, as Latics saw out the game comfortably to hold onto top spot in the FTDL West, despite Port Vale also claiming a victory against Tranmere Rovers.

First team squad members Lee Nicholls, Billy Mckay, Barnett and Waghorn all featured, with Mckay setting up two of the afternoon's goals.

Latics had found the side-netting and hit the post before opening the scoring on six minutes, with Robles and Waghorn narrowly denied.

A minute after hitting the foot of the woodwork, Waghorn made it 1-0 when he arrived late at the left post to tap home Mckay's pull back into the six yard box.

Two minutes later and Latics doubled their lead, this time Jordan Flores turned provider with a dangerous corner into the front of the six yard box, this time Barnett was on hand to bundle the ball home as he flicked it over Mark Halstead from close range at the near post.

Latics were on fire, forcing men into the box at every opportunity and after 20 minutes they found themselves 3-0 up.

This time circumstances were a little fortuitous when Waghorn's cross was spilled over Halstead's head, only for leading Under 18s goal scorer Robles to be lurking and nodding home from a matter of yards.

Nicholls was eventually called into action in the final minute of the half, when a sloppy pass in the middle allowed James Caton to sprint through on goal.  Caton's driven, low shot was beaten away by Nicholls, only for Kaiman Anderson to pounce down the right side of the area straight away.  Nicholls denied Anderson from a tight angle, only to spring up a second time as the forward managed to work another opportunity in the same phase of play.

Latics made two changes within 10 minutes of the second half, with Mayowa Balogun replacing Ryan Jennings and Matty Hamilton replacing opening scorer Waghorn.

The tempo slowed a little for Latics as Shrewsbury began to give more to the action, but it was always looking comfortable for Joe Parkinson's side.

Mckay went close to adding a goal to his assist just before the hour mark when he bent a left footed shot towards the top left corner, only for Halstead to leap and tip the ball behind.

Latics were then denied a fourth goal after Mckay's cross was flicked on by Robles into the feet of Joey Johnson, but the flag was raised for offside as he tapped home at the back post.

Adam Anson was introduced for his first Development Squad appearance with 16 minutes to play as Latics shifted Chow from right back to a wide right position.  It paid dividends for the captain, who rounded off the scoring with just a minute to go.

Mckay was provider for the second time in the game as he raced away down the left side, before taking out the final defender with a solid pass across the box for Chow to hammer in.

Following the comfortable win, Latics remain top of the FTDL West, one point above Port Vale.

Latics: Nicholls, Chow (Capt), Flores, Poole, Barnett, Langford, Jennings (Balogun 46), Johnson, Mckay, Robles (Anson 74), Waghorn (Hamilton 55)
Unused Sub: Keane

Shrewsbury: Halstead, Watkins, Burton (King 77), Southern, Grogan, Fletcher (Flint 54), Hickman, Vincent (Jones 72), Anderson, Caton (Capt), Ginnelly
Unused Subs: Astley, Rowley

Advertisement block