Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


31 March 2015

10-man Latics out of LFA Cup on penalties against Bury.

  • Latics edged out 3-1 on penalties in LFA Cup Semi-Final.
  • 1-1 draw in 90 minutes against Bury, with Hamilton on target.
  • Latics down to 10 in the second half, with Johnson sent off.
Hamilton 36

Bourne 48

Joe Parkinson’s Development Squad were denied a second consecutive Lancashire FA Senior Cup final appearance, after were edged out 3-1 on penalties by the holders Bury, following a 1-1 draw in which they had 10 men for over half an hour.

Matty Hamilton had given Latics a first half lead, until Robert Bourne thumped in from distance to equalise.  Connor Keane then gave away and saved a penalty, but a minute later the job got even harder for Latics, when Joey Johnson was given his marching orders for a lunge on George Miller.

Latics held on for over 30 minutes in driving rain and swirling wind at Robin Park Arena, but the penalty shootout proved a step too far, with Bourne scoring the winner to give the Shakers a 3-1 victory.

It was a difficult afternoon for Latics who saw themselves on the back foot for the opening half an hour, but after glimmers of dangerous play, Republic of Ireland Under 21 international Hamilton gave them the lead with a well placed finish into the bottom right corner from Johnson's low cross.

For all of their possession, Bury hadn't done much with the ball, making it a slow moving first half, but a test for a youthful Latics outfit.

After the wind and rain had battered both teams in the final 10 minutes of the half, the sun came out for the start of the second, but it wasn't shining on Latics, as Bourne let fly from distance to equalise with just three minutes gone.

Bury were in the ascendancy and on 55 minutes they thought they had the perfect chance to take the lead, when Keane clattered into Miller in the area to hand the visitors a penalty.

Keane made himself big and followed Bourne's kick the right way, making a solid two handed save down to his left.

Things got even more complicated for Latics just a minute later when Johnson's two footed lunge left Miller writhing in pain as the midfielder was brandished his second red card of the season.

It was backs to the wall for the next 30 minutes, with Latics deserving the credit as they held Bury out with a solid, organised defensive display and some inspired saves from Keane between the posts.

After four minutes of added time the game went straight to penalties.

Louis Robles was denied by a strong save from Lainton, before Keane was equal to two Keil O'Brien spot kicks, after the referee made the defender retake as the goalkeeper was judged to have left his line early. 0-0.

Tim Chow was second up for Latics and confidently dispatched his kick, with Joe Thompson then leveling for Bury. 1-1.

Hamilton then missed and Bury took the lead, before Jordan Flores was also denied by Lainton, leaving it for Bourne to score the winning penalty, sending Bury through to the final.

Meanwhile, Latics could still retain the Final Third Development League West, with Port Vale held to a 1-1 draw by Walsall, leaving a three point gap between the Valiants in second and Latics in first, with just one game to play for the chasers.

Latics: Keane, Chow (Capt), Lambert, Poole (Gregory 67), Baxendale, Balogun, Johnson, Purzycki, Robles, Hamilton, Flores
Subs: Evans, Lingard, Barrigan

Bury: Lainton, Holding (Poscha 60), Gibson, Foulds, O'Brien, Bourne, Thompson, Burgess, Shaw, Miller, A.Trialist.
Subs: Williams, Mohammed, Crossdale, Durham

Advertisement block