Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


28 September 2015

Latics out of the U21 Premier League Cup after 3-0 defeat to Burnley.

  • Match report from Burnley 3 Latics 0.
  • Holt and Cowie complete 90 minutes as Eagles also features.
  • Massanka (2) and Anderson on target at Turf Moor.

Massanka 30, 68
Anderson 78


It proved a tough evening for Wigan Athletic's Development Squad in the opening round of the Under 21 Premier League Cup, as they exited the competition following a 3-0 defeat to Burnley at Turf Moor.

A double from Ntumba Massanka and a second half header from Tom Anderson proved enough for the Clarets, who eliminated Latics in the inaugural year of the same competition in 2013.

Grant Holt and Don Cowie completing 90 minutes provided positives for Latics, as the pair continue to recover from long term injuries, whilst Chris Eagles, who has been training with Latics, also featured.

Peter Atherton's side controlled the first half with composed passing football, but Burnley's organised defence prevented them from creating key opportunities.

Massanka gave the hosts the lead on the half hour mark when a pass from Fredrik Ulvestad took deflections off both Adrian Purzycki and Adam Anson, with the slice of luck allowing Burnley's forward through one-on-one with Owen Evans.  Massanka avoided the keeper's sliding challenge, before slotting home past Alex Lingard on the line.

Latics were almost level three minutes later when Danny O'Brien's cross from the right was headed behind by Kevin Long under pressure from Holt, but it proved to be the closest they would come in the opening 45 minutes.

Burnley made a quick start to the second period, and Latics had Adam Anson to thank when Jamie Frost found Massanka at the back post, only for Anson to head clear off the line.

Latics found themselves 2-0 down in the 68th minute, with Massanka doubling his tally when Ulvestad found Renny Smith down the right side of the area, his cut back powered home by the striker.

Ten minutes later and Burnley had their third, but not before Evans was called into action in the 74th minute, denying Burnley substitute Khius Metz with an excellent low save.

Tom Anderson grabbed Burnley's goal four minutes later, heading home from Brad Jackson's corner to round off the scoring.

Burnley: Mitchell, Hendrie, Anderson, Long (Whitmore 82), Dummigan, Forst, Ulvestad, A.ONeill, Jackson, Ageyi (Smith 52), Massanka (Metz 71)
Unused Subs: Nizic, Birch

Latics: Evans, Burke, Lingard, Anson, Purzycki (Stubbs 83), Hamilton, O'Brien (Barrigan 83), Cowie, Holt, Robles, Eagles (Cosgrove 67)
Unused Subs: Absalom, Baxendale

Advertisement block