Learn more about our new signing Sam Morsy.
- Sam Morsy signs for Wigan Athletic.
- Midfielder joins from Chesterfield.
- Morsy has faced Latics twice this season for the Spireites.
2. Morsy joined Wolverhampton Wanderers as a nine-year-old, but left the club in 2008 when he wasn’t offered a scholarship, instead he joined Port Vale after impressing one-time Latics loanee Mark Grew, coach for the Valiants at the time.
3. The midfielder made his professional debut on 23 February 2010 as a late substitute in a 4-0 home victory against Lincoln City. He was a second year scholar at the time.
4. Morsy made 71 leagues appearances during his time with the Vale Park club and won Young Player of the Year in 2010 and 2011, before signing for Chesterfield in June 2013.
Sam Morsy up against Max Power during his time at Port Vale.
5. During the 2012/13 season, Morsy featured 28 times in the league as Port Vale won promotion to League One by finishing third in League Two.
6. Morsy made his Chesterfield debut on 3 August 2013 in a 2-0 away victory over Bury, and went on to score his first goal for the club on 1 February 2014 in a 3-1 home win against Bristol Rovers.
7. In his first season with the Derbyshire club, Morsy featured 34 times in the league and scored once, before being crowned Chesterfield’s Player of the Year for 2013/14 as they went on to win League Two (Morsy’s second promotion from the division).
8. Morsy is also a runner-up in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, after Chesterfield lost 3-1 to Peterborough United at Wembley Stadium in the same season as their promotion to League One. He assisted Chesterfield's goal.
9. He made a total of 99 league appearances for the club, with 117 in all competitions.
Morsy in League One action this season as Chesterfield captain.
10. Morsy featured in both of Chesterfield’s meetings with Latics this season. He made 30 appearances in all competitions for the Spireites and scored four goals.