Learn more about Latics' latest signing.
- Jake Buxton joins Latics from Derby County.
- Defender ends seven-year spell at the iPro Stadium.
- 31-year-old has over 350 career appearances.
1. Born 4 March 1985, Jake Buxton came through the youth ranks at Mansfield Town, before making his debut as a late substitute against Crewe Alexandra on 22 October 2002, aged just 17.
2. The defender's breakthrough season came in 2004/05 when he went on to make 33 appearances for the Stags as they went on to finish 13th in League Two.
Buxton in action for Mansfield against former Latics forward Simon Haworth.
3. Buxton's career went from strength-to-strength in 2005/06 when he made 44 appearances to help Mansfield to 16th place.
4. His time at Mansfield came to an end after the 2007/08 season following relegation from League Two, having made 174 appearances in all competitions for the Stags.
5. Buxton joined Burton Albion for the 2008/09 season and featured 43 times on the road to the league title and promotion into the Football League. He also picked up the Brewers' Player of the Year award.
Buxton in action for Burton Albion.
6. In 2009/10 Buxton was recruited by his former Burton boss Nigel Clough at Derby County, making his debut on 8 August 2009 in a 2-1 victory over Peterborough United alongside former Latics winger Gary Teale. He made 24 appearances in his first Sky Bet Championship season.
7. Injuries saw Buxton's Derby appearances fluctuate, but he returned to the first team in 2011/12 after making just one appearances in 2010/11. He played 23 times and scored twice as the Rams finished 12th in the Championship, with his standout moment a 90th minute winner in a 1-0 victory over local rivals Nottingham Forest.
8. Buxton began 2012/13 with a bang, scoring three goals in his opening two appearances. He went on to play 32 times, scoring two more goals, both against Leeds United including a late winner at Elland Road.
9. In 2013/14 the defender featured 52 times as Derby reached the Championship play-off final, before unfortunately falling to a late defeat against Queens Park Rangers at Wembley Stadium.
Buxton in play-off final action at Wembley Stadium.
10. Buxton made a total of 158 appearances during his seven years at Derby, pushing his career total to a huge total of 376 at the age of just 31.