Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


1 December 2017

Danny Rowe's second half penalty earns AFC Fylde a second round replay in the FA Cup at the DW Stadium.

  • Match report from AFC Fylde 1 Latics 1 in the Emirates FA Cup second round.
  • Will Grigg's 40th Latics goal cancelled out by Danny Rowe's second half penalty.
  • Both sides in the hat for the third round draw ahead of replay at the DW Stadium.

Rowe 70 (pen)

Grigg 44

A frustrated Wigan Athletic side were forced into a second round replay in the Emirates FA Cup as Danny Rowe's second half penalty cancelled out Will Grigg's headed opener on a historic night for AFC Fylde at Mill Farm.

Latics controlled the vast majority of the game and created multiple chances through Grigg, Gavin Massey and Max Power, but the National League side stood firm to earn a DW Stadium replay.

Dan Burn and Massey were the only two changes from Latics' 3-1 victory at Rotherham United in Sky Bet League One, replacing Alex Bruce and Ryan Colclough, the winger missing out through illness.

Latics were quick out of the blocks and showed their dominance in possession during the opening stages, Massey the first to go close after a one-two with Grigg on the edge of the area.

Midway through the first half Grigg and Nathan Byrne gave a dress rehearsal of the opening goal when the full back's cross was turned onto the cross bar by the Northern Ireland international.

The hosts gave a good account of themselves in the first 45 minutes holding strong to deny multiple attempts from Paul Cook's side, but the Coasters' back line was eventually washed away in the penultimate minute of the half.

Byrne's trickery earned him space down the right, before he chopped inside to provide a beautiful delivery onto the head of Grigg who guided in his 40th goal for the club on his 100th appearance.

Fylde made a bright start to the second half, but it was Latics who carved out the first chance through Michael Jacobs.  Max Power's quick free kick caught the Coasters' defence off guard, before Jacobs whipped a right footed effort, only for Jay Lynch to tip the ball away with a fine save.

Lynch was on form again 10 minutes later when he somehow got a hand to Massey's snap shot in the area, after the winger had battled to win possession back and struck fiercely with a first time effort.

Minutes later the hosts' FA Cup dreams were reignited when captain Sam Finley looked destined to drive Rowe's cut back in for 1-1, only for Byrne to slide across and concede a penalty.

Hotshot Rowe stepped up and confidently dispatched from the spot for his 60th goal in 63th matches, sending the sellout crowd into raptures.

With confidence flowing through the white shirts of the Fylde players the final 10 minutes became cagey, but it was Latics who came closest to clinching an all important winner when substitute Nick Powell clipped a right footed effort narrowly wide of the right post in stoppage time.

The hosts held on gallantly in the closing moments, keeping their cup run alive and earning a second round replay at the DW Stadium.

AFC Fylde: Lynch, Montrose, Francis-Angol, Tunnicliffe, Bond, Finley (Capt) (J.Taylor 90+3), Rowe, Richards (Grand 89), Smith, Ezewele (Blinkhorn 62), Edmundson
Unused subs: R.Taylor, Tasdemir, H.Jones

Latics: J.Jones, Byrne, Morsy (Capt), Dunkley, Burn, James, Evans, Massey (Powell 72), Jacobs (Roberts 90), Power, Grigg (Toney 88)
Unused subs: Sarkic, Bruce, Elder, Perkins

Advertisement block