Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


12 December 2017

Latics will face AFC Bournemouth in the third round of the Emirates FA Cup.

  • Match report: Wigan Athletic v AFC Fylde.
  • Goals from Ivan Toney and Will Grigg (x2) see Latics through.
  • Paul Cook's men will now face Premier League opposition in the next round.

Wigan Athletic progressed to the third round of the Emirates FA Cup with victory over AFC Fylde at the DW Stadium this evening.

Latics went ahead on 31 minutes through Ivan Toney as he met Callum Elder’s inviting cross at the back post to slot past keeper Jay Lynch.

The Coasters equalised nine minutes later when Simon Grand fired past Matija Sarkic after a goalmouth scramble inside the box.

Danny Rowe turned the game on its head in the second half with a deflected strike, but substitute Will Grigg netted twice late on to ensure victory.

Having beaten fellow Fylde Coast outfit Fleetwood on home soil on Saturday afternoon, manager Paul Cook made eight changes for the visit of Dave Challinor’s side.

Good early work from Gavin Massey down the right presented Toney with the first chance of the game, but the striker on loan from Newcastle United was denied by Lynch.

In response, Coasters frontman Danny Rowe headed Sam Finley’s cross over Sarkic’s bar before testing the Montenegrin with a strike from distance.

A well worked corner from Latics just before the half hour mark nearly resulted in the first goal as Dan Burn’s neat flick at the front post went just over.

The opener did come moments later though when Elder’s low cross from the left found Toney at the back post who tapped in from close range.

The Coasters were level before the interval when Grand capitalised on a goal mouth scramble and smashed the ball home inside the area.

Latics looked to regain the advantage after the break, with David Perkins seeing an effort blocked on the edge of the area and Toney was denied Lynch.

Gary Roberts was later thwarted by some last ditch defending, while Will Grigg was brought on for Ryan Colclough on the hour as Cook switched his options in attack.

Challinior's side took the lead for the first time in the game on 65 minutes as Rowe's deflected strike from the edge of the area looped over Sarkic.

Max Power looked for a way back into the tie for Latics, firing narrowly wide of Lynch's near post from 20 yards.

Rowe and Jonny Smith both had opportunities to extend the lead for the visitors, but Sarkic was equal to their efforts.

Grigg found the net with 10 minutes to go as Roberts slipped the ball into his path and he calmly beat Lynch from a tight angle.

And Grigg struck again before the end when he found the net inside the area.

Latics: Sarkic, Byrne, Elder, Perkins, Power, Toney, Massey (Hunt 73), Bruce, Roberts (Dunkley 87), Colclough (Grigg 61), Burn (Capt).

Subs not used: Evans,Thomas, Burgess, Merrie.

AFC Fylde: Lynch, Montrose, Francis-Angol, Tunnicliffe, Bond (Blinkhorn 85), Finley (Capt), Rowe, Grand, Richards, Smith, Ezewele (Muldoon 54).

Subs not used: R.Taylor, J.Taylor, McCready, Tasdemir, Jones.

Advertisement block