Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


20 February 2017

Latics surrender two-goal lead but unbeaten run extends to five matches.

  • Match Report: Latics U18 2 – 2 Fleetwood Town U18.
  • Luke Burgess and Chris Merrie gave Nick Chadwick’s side half-time lead.
  • Latics pegged back by goals from Gerard Garner and Dan Mooney.
Latics’ under-18s surrendered a two-goal lead against Fleetwood Town on Saturday afternoon, though their unbeaten run now stretches to five matches since their FA Youth Cup defeat to Southampton.

2-0 ahead at the break thanks to goals from Luke Burgess and Chris Merrie, Latics dominated the majority of the play for the whole 90 minutes, but defensive lapses in concentration and a lack of quality in possession in the second 45 proved costly.

It wasn’t actually until 43 minutes into the contest that Latics took the advantage, as Sam Stubbs played a ball into Merrie, who passed into Tom Powell, who then set Burgess to run onto the ball and strike home from 25 yards

Merrie doubled the lead less than a minute later as the initial Fleetwood clearance was picked up by Anthony Plant high up the pitch, and he crossed and managed to pick out Powell before the ball ended up falling nicely for the midfielder, who arrived late at the edge of the box and hit a first time volley into bottom left for his first of season. A special goal.

With just over 20 minutes of the second-half played, Fleetwood grabbed a goal back through Garner as a brilliant team effort was superbly finished for the Cod Army.

Mooney’s leveller came after a nice pass from Liam Collings found him and he spun away from Stubbs before he could reach it before smashing at Jordan Perrin from a tight angle but the deflection hit Charlie Forecast and went in off his leg. Unfortunate on his last game for the 18s before he moves to America.

Latics: Perrin, Plant, Taylor, Forecast, Stubbs, Donaghey, Burgess (Downey 74), Merrie, Powell (Berry 63), Malumo, Cotter.

Advertisement block