More on Latics’ latest recruit, forward Gavin Massey, who has arrived from Leyton Orient.
- Find out more about Wigan Athletic’s latest recruit, Gavin Massey.
- Massey, 24, boasts over 200 league appearances after making debut aged 17.
- Massey’s first Latics interview here.
We take a look at the career of Latics’ new signing Gavin Massey after he made the move from Leyton Orient to the DW Stadium earlier today.
The forward, 24, arrives with plenty of league experience and with a view to reigniting a career that started with huge prospect.
- Massey was a graduate of the Harefield Academy, a school in Uxbridge which Watford FC also use as part of their youth system.
- Massey arrived at Harefield have been Watford from the age of nine, signing his first scholarship in 2009, aged 17.
- In 2010, during the first year of his scholarship, Massey made his Watford debut as a late substitute in a 4-0 win at Coventry City.
Gavin Massey in action on his league debut for Watford.
Credit: Alan Cozzi/Watford FC
- Massey continued to impress at reserve and youth level after his debut and earned first team experience in a brief loan spell with non-league Wealdstone before the end of the 2010-11 campaign.
- A loan move to Yeovil Town – then in League One – followed early in the 2011-12 season.
- Massey scored his first league goal against future employers Colchester United in a 2-2 in October 2011.
- After scoring three goals in 17 games for the Glovers, Massey returned to Watford in January 2012.
- A further two loan spells with Colchester United followed for the second-half of the season before Massey moved to Essex permanently ahead of the 2012-13 season.
Gavin Massey signs for Colchester United.
- Massey scored his first goal for Colchester in a 3-1 win over Hartlepool United in September 2012.
- He went on to play just shy of 200 games in all competitions for the U’s before his move to Leyton Orient last summer.
Gavin Massey in action for Leyton Orient.
- Despite a difficult season for the Brisbane Road club, Massey still scored eight goals in 39 games, including one against Paul Cook’s Portsmouth.
- Massey added two goals against Plymouth Argyle and provided the third in a 3-2 win for the struggling O’s at Home Park.
Watch Massey impress for Leyton Orient at Plymouth last season.