Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


18 July 2017

Latics struggle to break down their non-league neighbours in front of good away following at the Merseyrail Community Stadiu



  • Report: Southport 0 – 0 Wigan Athletic.
  • Sam Morsy returns for Latics and Chey Dunkley makes first appearance for the club.
  • Latics draw second consecutive pre-season friendly.

 Attendance – 1,356

Wigan Athletic’s pre-season preparations continued this evening as they played out a goalless draw against Southport at the Merseyrail Community Stadium.

On a night where Michael Jacobs captained Latics, Sam Morsy returned to the side for his first pre-season appearance, while young defender Sam Stubbs was handed a start, so too Gavin Massey.

And it was the former Leyton Orient man who had the first chance of the game after six minutes, when he nodded Max Power’s delightful cross just wide at the back post.

Massey was involved again on the quarter hour mark, as Alex Gilbey’s neat lay-off on the edge of the area saw the 24-year-old skew and effort just wide of Iain Turner’s goal.

Latics were proving dominant without having too many clear cut chances; captain for the night Michael Jacobs the next to have a go with a 25-yard free kick with Turner held low down.

The home side threatened through Andy White just before the interval, as the left back made space for himself on the edge of the box only to be thwarted by a last-ditch block from Nathan Byrne.

Latics boss Paul Cook made two substitutions at half time as Chey Dunkley was brought on for his debut in place of Stubbs, while David Perkins came on for Sam Morsy.

Massey went close again in the second half, this time dragging an effort off target, after a good move involving Gilbey.

A number of the club’s youngsters were given game time during the second half, with the likes of Callum Lang, Chris Merrie, Luke Burgess and Luke Burke coming on.

Burke was involved in the action almost immediately as he forced Turner into a save, before playing in Lang who shot over on the turn from inside the box. 

Burgess went close with an effort from distance, while keeper Evans pulled off a smart stop at his front post late on to deny the home side a winner.

Wigan Athletic: Evans; Byrne (Burke 68), Stubbs (Dunkley 45), Burn (Thomas 68), James (Flores 61); Power (Laurent 62), Morsy (Perkins 45), Jacobs (Woolery 68), Gilbey (Merrie 68), Massey (Burgess 68); Bogle (Lang 68).


Southport (squad): Iain Turner, Brad Jackson, Andy White, Curtis Jones, Adam Dugdale, Kieran Kennedy, Alex Fletcher, Gary Roberts, Jack Sampson, John-Paul Kissock, Kaiman Anderson, Oscar Durnin, Mark Halstead, Liam Haines, Ethan Jones, Liam Martin, Andy Howarth, Callum Spooner, Joel Bembo-Leta, Steve Jennings, Jacques Kpohomouh.

Advertisement block