Wigan-based homeless charity The Brick will work with Latics in 2017-18.
- The Brick chosen as 2017-18 Wigan Athletic Official Charity partner.
- The Brick partnership to be launched versus Bristol Rovers on Saturday 16 September.
- Supporters can bring food and toiletries to Latics v Bristol Rovers.
- “We want to ensure no one is left behind in our borough” – Kathleen Pitt, The Brick.
- Wigan Athletic Community Trust and Wigan Youth Zone are permanent official charities.
We are delighted to announce The Brick as the club’s 2017-18 Official Charity partner.
The partnership will be officially launched at this Saturday’s Sky Bet League One match versus Bristol Rovers, with the players warming up in branded t-shirts, match day collections inside and outside the DW Stadium and a half-time presentation on the pitch.
As part of the launch, Latics supporters are also being urged to bring food and toiletries donations to the game, which will be collected in banks at the DW Stadium and distributed by The Brick.
THREE WAYS IN WHICH YOU CAN SUPPORT THE BRICK AT LATICS v BRISTOL ROVERS
- Bring along food and toiletry items to the DW Stadium – see list below.
- Donate to The Brick’s match day collection.
- Text donate BRIK18 £5 to 70070.
The official charity partner operates alongside permanent official club charities Wigan Athletic Community Trust and Wigan Youth Zone.
The club received 30 separate applications to become 2017-18 charity of the season and we would like to place on record our gratitude to every organisation that applied – making a choice was immensely challenging given how many worthy causes showed an interest.
The Brick, based in Wigan town centre, help people living on the streets start to rebuild their lives. Every month, it supports almost 400 people across Wigan and Leigh who are affected by poverty or homelessness, offering them food, shelter and training.
The year-long partnership will support The Brick’s Rebuilding Lives campaign, which aims to raise more than £75,000 over 12 months to help people in the community to begin to construct a new life for themselves.
Kathleen Pitt, Chief Executive of The Brick, said: “The support of Wigan Athletic will do so much to help our mission to put an end to poverty and homelessness in Wigan and Leigh.
“Poverty can affect anyone and we want to make sure no one in our community is left behind. The Brick provides a safe, solid building block for people in crisis to get back on their feet; from helping with accommodation and support groups to our food bank, training and helping to increase employment opportunities.
“We would urge everyone to support the Rebuilding Lives campaign to raise vital funds that will make a real difference to people on our doorstep.”
Jonathan Jackson, Wigan Athletic Chief Executive, said: “We wanted to choose a charity partner we felt would have a direct impact in our community. We highlighted the extremely serious issue of domestic violence in 2015-16 with DIAS, last season Latics2Amsterdam raised over £50,000 for Prostate Cancer UK and this year we feel our association with The Brick will resonate with our supporters and help to raise funds.”
Wigan Athletic and The Brick will work together for the duration of the 2017-18 season.
ITEMS SUPPORTERS CAN BRING TO LATICS V BRISTOL ROVERS. COLLECTION POINTS WILL BE LOCATED AT THE DW STADIUM
- Tinned meat & fish (eg. inced beef, meatballs, corned beef, ham, tuna).
- Cereal (preferably porridge sachets or smaller boxes of cereal).
- Tinned potatoes.
- Tinned beans, soup, tomatoes and vegetables.
- Packet/quick meals (eg. pasta ‘n’ sauce, pot noodles, microwavable rice).
- Tinned desserts (eg. rice pudding, custard, fruit).
- Snacks (eg. biscuits, crisps, sweets).
- Toiletries (eg. shampoo, shower gel, deodorant, toothpaste, toilet tissue).
For more information on how you can support The Brick go to www.thebrick.org.uk
For more information on the club’s charities policy, please consult the Wigan Athletic Customer Charter