Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


24 April 2018

Late Ryan Colclough goal keeps Latics’ Sky Bet League One title bid in their own hands as Paul Cook’s side battle to draw at Bristol Rovers.

  • Match Report: Bristol Rovers 1 – 1 Wigan Athletic
  • Ryan Colclough grabs a late leveller for Paul Cook’s side at the Memorial Stadium.
  • Latics will win Sky Bet League One title if they win their remaining two matches.

Sercombe 28

Colclough 80

Attendance: 8,414 (460 away)

Wigan Athletic’s Sky Bet League One title bid remains in their own hands after Ryan Colclough scored a late leveller at Bristol Rovers on Tuesday night.

Substitute Colclough bagged his sixth goal of the season to secure Latics a point which keeps their hopes of lifting the League One title for the second time in three years alive.

It wasn’t easy at the Memorial Stadium for Paul Cook’s side, though, Liam Sercombe’s opener the only goal for the Gas, who will be disappointed they didn’t make Latics pay at times, hitting the post on three occasions whilst also being denied by a sublime Christian Walton save.

Colclough, along with Will Grigg, dropped out of the starting XI from the side that beat Fleetwood Town last time out, with Michael Jacobs and James Vaughan returning.

Latics started on the front foot in difficult conditions, with Vaughan beating his man at the near post but heading off target from Nathan Byrne’s cross.

The hosts were the next to go close and were thankful for a wayward finish from Ellis Harrison after he broke in behind to go one-on-one with Walton.

Chey Dunkley and Max Power headed and shot off target respectively as Latics looked to get the opener before the opening goal fell to the hosts.

As the half hour approached, Kyle Bennett’s pass to Harrison was deflected into the path of Sercombe off Byrne and the midfielder broke through to fire past Walton.

Bennett then hit the post as half-time approached and the Gas applied pressure before Walton produced a sublime double save at close range to keep his side in the game.

Latics had to defend bravely as the second-half wore on; first Dan Burn made a crucial block to deny Sercombe a second before Byron Moore broke on the right and fired wide of Walton’s near post.

Cook then made three changes as his side struggled to make an impact in the opening 15 minutes of the second-half. The first two came on 67 minutes as Colclough and Grigg were introduced before Devante Cole replaced Gary Roberts ten minutes later.

Cole had what looked a first Latics goal ruled out for offside, although the general consensus post-match was that the decision may have been the wrong one.

Colclough’s leveller came ten minutes from time as he stepped in from the left and beat Rovers goalkeeper Slocombe with a powerful 25 yard drive.

Rovers then hit the post late on through a Lee Brown free-kick as both sides played their part in a battling game which lacked quality in difficult conditions.

Bristol Rovers: Slocombe; Brown, Lockyer (Capt), Sercombe, O. Clarke (Nichols 45), Harrison, Lines, J. Clarke, Moore, Craig, Bennett.
Subs: Smith, Broadbent, Telford, Boca, Mensah, Gaffney.

Wigan Athletic: Walton; Byrne, Dunkley, Burn, Elder; Morsy (Capt), Power; Jacobs, Roberts (Cole 76), Massey (Colclough 67); Vaughan (Grigg 67)
Subs: Jones, Perkins, Walker, Bruce.

Advertisement block