We take a look at the career of Premier League and double League Cup winner Darron Gibson.
- 10 Facts: Darron Gibson signs for Latics following pre-season.
- Former Manchester United, Royal Antwerp, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Everton and Sunderland midfielder Gibson in profile.
- Get to know more about Darron, who featured in all three of our pre-season friendlies.
1. Born in Derry, Northern Ireland, Gibson was picked up by Manchester United as a 16-year-old from Institute FC and went on to make his United debut in October 2005, the day after his 17th birthday in a 4-1 win against Barnet in the League Cup.
2. Darron spent the 2006-07 season on loan at Royal Antwerp under Warren Joyce, where he played 25 times and scored one goal alongside then United team mates Ritchie De Laet and Ryan Shawcross.
3. Gibson broke onto the first team scene in England in 2007-08 during a loan spell with Wolverhampton Wanderers, where he featured 24 times and grabbed his first senior goal in English football against Burnley, a game in which he faced former Latics players Alan Mahon, David Unsworth and Chris McCann.
4. The 30-year-old returned to Old Trafford for 2008-09 and featured 16 times, including making his Premier League debut as a second half substitute for Darren Fletcher against Stoke City.
5. Gibson scored three goals that season, two in the FA Cup against Southampton and Derby County and his first Premier League goal in a 1-0 final day victory away at Hull City.
6. In his seven years at Manchester United, Gibson scored 10 goals in 60 matches, including in consecutive Champions League semi-finals against Bayern Munich in 2010 and Schalke in 2011. His final Premier League goal for United came in a 4-0 victory away at Bolton Wanderers.
7. Gibson featured in his final game at Old Trafford at the start of the 2011-12 season against Latics, before moving to Everton where he featured 15 times in his first campaign and scored the winning goal in a 1-0 victory against Manchester City.
8. Darron spent five years at Goodison Park, where he featured 69 times and scored twice.
9. Gibson joined Sunderland in January 2017 and featured 30 times in all competitions before leaving the Stadium of Light this summer.
10. Darron has 27 caps for Republic of Ireland and is also capped for U17, U19, U21 and B teams and was included in the 2012 UEFA European Championship squad. He has one goal for his national team and made his Ireland debut in September 2007 against Slovakia.