Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


4 August 2018

Latics deservedly pick up three points in second tier opener against the Owls at the DW Stadium.

  • Match Report: Wigan Athletic v Sheffield Wednesday.
  • Latics win at home on opening day for first time since 1999/00 season.
  • A Michael Jacobs brace and a finish from Nick Powell secure the points.


Jacobs 11, 26, Powell 60


Nuhiu 20, Forestieri 67

Wigan Athletic began life in Sky Bet Championship with a win this afternoon as they beat Sheffield Wednesday in a five-goal thriller at the DW Stadium.

Latics got off to the perfect start when Michael Jacobs, scorer of 12 goals last season, took only 11 minutes to find the net as his low strike from the edge of the box flew past Cameron Dawson.

Atdhe Nuhiu levelled for the Owls nine minutes later as he poked home from inside the six-yard box, despite the best efforts of Christian Walton and Chey Dunkley to keep him out.

Jacobs scored his second of the afternoon in the 26th minute when Gavin Massey’s cross fell to him in the area and he found the back of the net from eight yards out.

Nick Powell made it three on the hour as reacted first to Dawson’s parry, but Fernando Forestieri reduced the arrears with a neat finish on 68 minutes.

Four players were handed their competitive Latics debuts by manager Paul Cook, with Reece James, Cedric Kipre, Antonee Robinson and Darron Gibson all starting.

Backed by a vociferous home support, Latics started the game the stronger of the two sides and tested the visiting backline with a number of dangerous crosses.

Jacobs then deservedly put his team ahead when he picked up on a loose ball on the edge of the area and calmly beat Dawson with a low drive.

The advantage lasted only a short time however as Nuhiu, who was initially denied by Walton with his first attempt, capitalised on the rebound to poke home from close range.  

The aerial prowess of defensive pairing Dunkley and Kipre was a threat for Latics, and the former later did well to get above his marker from a corner to test Dawson.

Jacobs then sent the DW Stadium into euphoria once more midway through the first half when Massey’s superb cross fell to the attacker and he made no mistake inside the box.

Dunkley went close again from a corner, while Jacobs almost got himself a hat-trick before half time only to see his stunning long range effort come back off the bar.

Latics were on the front foot at the start of the second period too, with Massey doing well on the right before testing Dawson with a stinging effort which he was forced to palm away.

The lead was extended on the hour as Jacobs drove forward on the left and shot at Dawson who could only parry, and Powell was quickest to react to net a third.

Forestieri pulled one back for Jos Luhukay’s men in the 67th minute as he linked up well with Lucas João to beat Walton with a good finish.

Latics kept pressing their visitors and substitute James Vaughan was twice denied, firstly with a header that hit the bar and secondly by the offside flag after netting from close range.

In reply, Liam Palmer wasted an opportunity for his side, blasting well over from a good position as the Owls went in search of an equaliser. 

Wednesday were reduced to 10 men late on when Nuhiu was shown his second of the afternoon, and Latics held on to secure all three points. 

Wigan Athletic: Walton; James, Dunkley, Kipre, Robinson; Morsy (Capt), Gibson (Vaughan 70); Massey (McManaman 81), Powell (Power 70), Jacobs; Grigg.

Subs: Jones, Bruce, Roberts, Naismith.

Sheffield Wednesday: Dawson, Palmer, van Aken (Joao 61), Pelupessy (Fletcher 87), Bannan, Lees (Capt), Nuhiu, Reach, Hutchinson, Pudil, Forestieri.

Subs: Wildsmith, Fox, Matias, Boyd, Lee.

Advertisement block