Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


29 December 2018

Latics draw at Swansea City in final match of 2018 as Joe Garner cancelled out in the second half by the Swans.

  • Match Report: Swansea City 2 - 2 Wigan Athletic
  • Joe Garner double gave Latics a first-half lead.
  • Dan Burn own goal and Mike van der Hoorn effort levelled the score for the hosts.

Burn (OG) 60
van der Hoorn 81

Garner (pen) 10, 33

Attendance: 18,591

Latics added a point to their Sky Bet Championship tally to close at 2018 but will head back to Wigan disappointed as they drew 2-2 at Swansea City, despite leading 2-0.

Joe Garner scored twice in the first-half for Latics, the first a penalty, before Swansea captain Mike van der Hoorn levelled nine minutes from time after Dan Burn had unfortunately put into his own net on his final appearance for the club before his move to Brighton & Hove Albion.

Paul Cook made two changes to the Latics side that started against West Bromwich Albion on Boxing Day, with Lee Evans and Darron Gibson returning in place of Callum Connolly and Josh Windass.

Latics started brightly and went ahead after just eight minutes into the game as Kal Naismith was fouled in the area by Wayne Routledge before Garner slotted home the penalty with confidence.

Cook’s side almost had a second soon after as Reece James’ long ball was cushioned down by Naismith into the path of Garner, who played in Morsy but his shot was blocked.

Lee Evans volleyed and headed just off target soon after as Latics took control of the game, resulting in a second goal soon after.

Firstly, Naismith was denied by Erwin Mulder before Chey Dunkley was denied by a goal-line clearance from the resulting corner which led to an Evans shot being diverted behind for another corner. From the next corner, Garner climbed highest to head in his second.

Naismith had a glorious chance for a third just before the break as he was played in by Garner before dragging his left foot shot wide of Mulder’s left hand post.

After a nervy start to the second-half, Reece James had a free-kick well saved by Mulder as Latics searched for a third goal on the break.

However, the Swans got their first back from a set-piece delivery which seemed to hit Burn and go in past Christian Walton.

The Welsh side then asserted their own dominance and control of the game as Oli McBurnie flicked a near post effort off target and Bersant Celina shot just over from 25 yards.

The leveller came nine minutes from time, though, as van der Hoorn got free in the area from a corner and fired home.

Swansea City: Mulder, Harries (Montero 45), van der Hoorn (Capt), Carter-Vickers, Fulton (Bony 75), Grimes, James, Routledge, Celina, Baker-Richardson (Naughton 45), McBurnie
Subs: Nordfeldt, Byers, McKay, Rodon

Latics: Walton, James (Byrne 60), Kipre, Dunkley, Burn, Gibson (Connolly 79), Morsy (Capt), Evans, Massey, Naismith, Garner (Vaughan 74)
Subs: Jones, Grigg, Windass, McManaman.

Sheffield United H

Advertisement block