Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


17 January 2018

Magnificent Latics put three past the Cherries at the DW Stadium.

  • Match Report: Wigan Athletic 3-0 AFC Bournemouth.
  • Samy Morsy, Dan Burn and Callum Elder were all on target.
  • Latics to play host to West Ham United in the next round.

Wigan Athletic progressed to the fourth round of the Emirates FA Cup this evening as they comprehensively beat Barclays Premier League side AFC Bournemouth at the DW Stadium.

Captain Samy Morsy gave Latics the lead inside the first 10 minutes when the ball fell to him in the area and he beat Boruc with a low finish into the bottom corner.

Substitute Dan Burn extended the margin moments after coming on in the second half when he turned Max Power’s dangerous cross in off the underside of the bar.

Left back Callum Elder put the tie beyond doubt with 15 minutes remaining as he scored his first goal for the club with a looping header past Boruc.

There were six changes to the team that drew at home to Peterborough at the weekend, with Jamie Jones, Alex Bruce, Elder, David Perkins, Gary Roberts and Ryan Colclough all starting.

An even start to proceedings, Paul Cook’s men had the first real attempt when Gavin Massey broke forward and forced Boruc into a low save from distance.

Latics went ahead soon after through Morsy who slotted home confidently in the box as the ball rebounded to him from Boruc’s initial stop from Will Grigg.

In reply, Ryan Fraser bent a free kick from 25 yards over Jones’ goal, while Lys Mousset saw an effort deflected inside the area as the visitors were restricted to half chances.

Benik Afobe then went close with a glancing header from Fraser’s free kick, but Jones was alert to the danger and dived well to his right to deny the frontman.

Colclough was causing the Cherries problems down the left and shot off target before the break, while at the other end Afobe’s header was held by Jones.

Eddie Howe’s outfit started the second period strongly, with Fraser forcing Jones into a good save at his near post and Perkins blocking well from Connor Mahoney.

Latics later went close to doubling their advantage through Colclough, who broke into the area and shot narrowly wide of the far post from a tight angle.

Afobe was Bournemouth’s main attacking threat and wasted a golden opportunity midway through the half when he dragged an effort wide after being played in on goal.

Burn made it two for Latics almost immediately after coming on as a substitute when he turned Power’s cross in off the underside of the bar from close range.

Power was the architect once again for the home side’s third goal in the 76th minute as he provided a cross for Elder to loop a header past Boruc at the back post.

Latics were brilliant and fully deserved their win which will see them take on top flight opposition again in the fourth round when they welcome the Hammers to the DW Stadium.

Wigan Athletic: Jones; Power, Bruce, Dunkley, Elder; Perkins, Morsy; Massey, Roberts (Jacobs 86), Colclough (Burn 71); Grigg (Hunt 51).

Subs not used: Walton, Byrne, Powell, James.

AFC Bournemouth: Boruc; Cook, Surman (Taylor 87), Pugh, Arter, Afobe, Daniels, Mahoney (Ibe 63), Fraser (Hyndman 78), Mousset, Simpson.

Subs not used: Federici, Butcher, Hobson, Ndjoli.

Advertisement block